Volume of a solid of rotation, obtained rotating a function around x=2

In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for calculating the volume of a solid using a given function. The first method involves inverting the function and using an integral, while the second method uses cylindrical shells centered on the axis of rotation. After some discussion, it is determined that both methods yield the same result, with a slight adjustment needed for the second method to account for the radii of the cylindrical shells.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Given the parabola ##y=4-x^2##, restricted to the first quadrant, compute the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the area enclosed by the parabola and xy axis around the line ##x=2##
Relevant Equations
Definite integration
At first, I inverted the function(##f^{-1}(x)=g(x)##) and calculated the volume through the integral:
$$V=\pi\int_{0}^{4}[4-(2-g(x))^2]\ dx$$
but then I questioned myself if the same result could have been obtained without inverting the function.

To find such a strategy, I proceeded as follows:
in order to get to a Riemann sum, I divided interval [a;b] into n small intervals ##dx##; for each of those I took an arbitrary point ##c_i##, and computed the volume of a single "slice" of final solid as ##V_i=f(c_i)\cdot 2\pi c_i \cdot dx##.
The total volume is thus ##V=2\pi \int_{a}^{b}xf(x) \ dx##, which applied to my case:
$$V=2\pi \int_{2}^{0}x(4-x^2) \ dx=-2\pi \int_{0}^{2}x(4-x^2) \ dx$$
but something doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first method looks okay!

As for the second, it's not obvious to me what the geometry of your slices ##V_i## are but I think you were trying to construct cylindrical shells centred on the axis of rotation ##(2, t,0)##?

That should work, but note that the radii of these cylindrical shells are actually ##r_i = 2 - c_i##, and not ##c_i##. So the area of the annulus cross-section is ##2\pi(2-c_i)dx## and hence the volume of the shell is ##V_i = 2\pi (2-c_i) f(c_i) dx##, leading to$$V = 2\pi \int_0^2 (2-x)(4-x^2) dx$$and that gives the same as your first result!

Likes greg_rack
etotheipi said:
The first method looks okay!

As for the second, it's not obvious to me what the geometry of your slices ##V_i## are but I think you were trying to construct cylindrical shells centred on the axis of rotation ##(2, t,0)##?

That should work, but note that the radii of these cylindrical shells are actually ##r_i = 2 - c_i##, and not ##c_i##. So the area of the annulus cross-section is ##2\pi(2-c_i)dx## and hence the volume of the shell is ##V_i = 2\pi (2-c_i) f(c_i) dx##, leading to$$V = 2\pi \int_0^2 (2-x)(4-x^2) dx$$and that gives the same as your first result!
Brilliant! I didn't notice I had to switch from ##c_i## to ##2-c_i##, and that makes perfectly sense :)

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid of rotation?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid of rotation is V = π∫(R(x))^2dx, where R(x) is the function being rotated around the axis of rotation.

2. How do you determine the axis of rotation for a solid of rotation?

The axis of rotation is determined by the equation x = a, where a is the value specified in the problem. This means that the function will be rotated around a vertical line passing through the point (a,0).

3. Can the function being rotated be any shape?

Yes, the function being rotated can be any shape as long as it is a continuous function on the interval of rotation and has a bounded area. Examples include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

4. Can the axis of rotation be changed?

Yes, the axis of rotation can be changed by adjusting the value of a in the equation x = a. This will result in a different solid of rotation with a different volume.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the volume of a solid of rotation?

Yes, finding the volume of a solid of rotation has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a water tank, the volume of a cylindrical building, or the volume of a rotating machine part.