Find the wavefunction for a 1 dimensional wave packet

In summary, the conversation was about finding the constant of normalization, \psi(x), and the coordinate space wave function \psi(x,t) in the limit \frac{h/d}{p_{0}} << 1 in quantum mechanics. The speaker found the value of A and \psi(x), but needed help in finding \psi(x,t). The solution was given as \Phi(p,t) = \Phi(p)e^{-\frac{p^{2}t}{2m\hbar}} and \psi(x,t) = \int \Phi(p,t)e^{-ipx/\hbar}dp.
maverick280857
Hi,

I'm teaching myself quantum mechanics (so this isn't homework). I came across the following question:

[tex]\Phi(p) = A\Theta\left[\frac{\hbar}{d}-|p-p_{0}|\right][/tex]

I have to find the constant of normalization, [itex]\psi(x)[/itex], and the coordinate space wave function [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] in the limit [itex]\frac{h/d}{p_{0}} << 1[/itex].

I started by finding [itex]A[/itex]:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{|\Phi(p)|^2}{2\pi\hbar}dp = 1[/tex]

This gives [itex]A = \sqrt{\pi d}[/itex].

Now,

[tex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp'\Phi(p')e^{-ip'x/\hbar}[/tex]

which gives

[tex]\psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{d}{\pi}}e^{ip_{0}x/\hbar}\frac{\sin(x/d)}{x}[/tex]

(There may be an algebraic error here..)

My problem is: how do I find [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex]? I am not sure how to proceed here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Solved

Got it.

[tex]\Phi(p,t) = \Phi(p)e^{-\frac{p^{2}t}{2m\hbar}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\psi(x,t) = \int \Phi(p,t)e^{-ipx/\hbar}dp[/tex]

1. What is a 1-dimensional wave packet?

A 1-dimensional wave packet is a mathematical representation of a wave that is confined to one dimension, such as a line or a string. It describes the location, amplitude, and frequency of the wave at any given point in time.

2. How is the wavefunction for a 1-dimensional wave packet found?

The wavefunction for a 1-dimensional wave packet can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes how quantum particles behave. This involves using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms and eigenfunction expansions.

3. What factors affect the shape of a 1-dimensional wave packet?

The shape of a 1-dimensional wave packet can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the initial conditions of the wave, such as its amplitude and frequency, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

4. How does the uncertainty principle relate to a 1-dimensional wave packet?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This applies to 1-dimensional wave packets as well, as the wavefunction describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position. The more localized the wave packet is, the less certain we are about its momentum, and vice versa.

5. Can the wavefunction for a 1-dimensional wave packet be visualized?

Yes, the wavefunction for a 1-dimensional wave packet can be visualized using a graph of the wave's amplitude and position. This graph is known as a wavefunction plot and is a helpful tool for understanding the behavior of the wave packet.