Find the wavelength of the particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
fluidistic
Gold Member
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
286

Homework Statement


I'm not even sure the problem is about matterwave:
A particle of mass m and charge e is accelerated by a potential difference V. Find the wavelength of the particle. Show that this result agrees with the classical one when the non relativistic limit is taken.

Homework Equations


Not sure, but I think that [tex]\lambda _B=\frac{h}{mv}[/tex] where m is the relativistic mass, i.e. [tex]m=\gamma m_0[/tex].
Maybe [tex]F=qE[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not really sure how to find the motion equation of the particle and I need its velocity in order to calculate its de Broglie's wavelength. F=qE.
[tex]\Delta V =\int _A^b \vec E d \vec l[/tex]... I don't go anywhere that way.
I've no idea what I'm missing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


rock.freak667 said:
The energy produced by the pd is Ve, which is converted into ke of the particle (0.5mv2).

Thank you. Ah, very similar to an exercise I started 2 days ago and you helped me...
However isn't the kinetic energy worth [tex]c^2 (m-m_0)[/tex]? Furthermore that would give a constant kinetic energy while they state "accelerated". Do they mean accelerated up to a speed v and then the particle maintains this speed constantly?!
 


fluidistic said:
Do they mean accelerated up to a speed v and then the particle maintains this speed constantly?!

I believe that is what it meant. I am not sure about the relativistic aspect though (never learned about it in depth).
 


rock.freak667 said:
I believe that is what it meant. I am not sure about the relativistic aspect though (never learned about it in depth).

Thank you for all your help.