Find the wavelength of the particle

In summary, the problem involves finding the wavelength of a particle with mass m and charge e accelerated by a potential difference V. The classical result is derived from the de Broglie equation, which states that the wavelength is equal to Planck's constant divided by the particle's velocity. The motion equation of the particle is needed to calculate the velocity, which can be found by integrating the electric field over the potential difference. The particle is accelerated to a constant speed v, producing kinetic energy equal to 0.5mv^2. The relativistic aspect of this problem is unclear.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm not even sure the problem is about matterwave:
A particle of mass m and charge e is accelerated by a potential difference V. Find the wavelength of the particle. Show that this result agrees with the classical one when the non relativistic limit is taken.

Homework Equations

Not sure, but I think that [tex]\lambda _B=\frac{h}{mv}[/tex] where m is the relativistic mass, i.e. [tex]m=\gamma m_0[/tex].
Maybe [tex]F=qE[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to find the motion equation of the particle and I need its velocity in order to calculate its de Broglie's wavelength. F=qE.
[tex]\Delta V =\int _A^b \vec E d \vec l[/tex]... I don't go anywhere that way.
I've no idea what I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org

The energy produced by the pd is Ve, which is converted into ke of the particle (0.5mv2).

rock.freak667 said:
The energy produced by the pd is Ve, which is converted into ke of the particle (0.5mv2).

Thank you. Ah, very similar to an exercise I started 2 days ago and you helped me...
However isn't the kinetic energy worth [tex]c^2 (m-m_0)[/tex]? Furthermore that would give a constant kinetic energy while they state "accelerated". Do they mean accelerated up to a speed v and then the particle maintains this speed constantly?!

fluidistic said:
Do they mean accelerated up to a speed v and then the particle maintains this speed constantly?!

I believe that is what it meant. I am not sure about the relativistic aspect though (never learned about it in depth).

rock.freak667 said:
I believe that is what it meant. I am not sure about the relativistic aspect though (never learned about it in depth).

Thank you for all your help.

What is the wavelength of a particle?

The wavelength of a particle refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave associated with the particle's motion. It is often represented by the symbol λ (lambda).

How is the wavelength of a particle measured?

The wavelength of a particle can be measured using various methods depending on the type of particle. For electromagnetic waves, it can be measured using a spectrometer or diffraction grating. For particles with mass, such as electrons, it can be measured using a particle accelerator.

What factors affect the wavelength of a particle?

The wavelength of a particle is affected by its energy and momentum. Generally, particles with higher energy and momentum have shorter wavelengths. Additionally, the medium through which the particle is traveling can also affect its wavelength.

Can the wavelength of a particle change?

Yes, the wavelength of a particle can change depending on its energy and the medium it is traveling through. For example, the wavelength of light can change when it passes through different materials, such as air or water.

Why is it important to find the wavelength of a particle?

Finding the wavelength of a particle allows scientists to better understand its behavior and interactions with other particles. It is also important for various applications, such as in medical imaging and telecommunications.