Relativistic motion of an electron in a uniform electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Natchanon
Messages
31
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
Solve for velocity and position as a function of time
Relevant Equations
attached in the .png file, where electric field E and tau are constants.
dv/dt is the acceleration, so I thought I could find the acceleration from F = qE = ma = dp/dt. But this is a relativistic case, so the proper acceleration is a = F/mγ3, where v in the gamma is the v of the electron and F = eE. However, I'm not sure if this is correct, because the constant τ doesn't appear anywhere on the right side.
 
Attachments
  • diffeq.PNG
    diffeq.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 264
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post full question and show your attempt