Find the x and y components of the following displacement.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 10K views
1irishman
Messages
243
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


20m 52deg W of N


Homework Equations


trig functions



The Attempt at a Solution


I got 20cos52=12.3m west
and 20sin52=15.8m north

yet the answer in the book says 12.3m north and 15.8m west. I don't understand...I thought cos was the x component and sin was the y component. so 15.8 m north is y and 12.3m west is x no? Please help me understand how the triangle and its components would look so i may recreate on paper?
Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle is 52 degrees west of north. So you start at north and rotate 52 degrees to the left. The triangle will look similar to this:

Code:
Angle B -> |\
           | \
           |__\ <- Angle A

Angle A is 38* and Angle B is 52*.

Hope this helps.
 
Take a look at this:

2gvr2wg.jpg


The angle 52* West of North results in line c (note that in my pretty drawing, angle C and side c have no relation). Angle C is 52*, and since the axis are perpindicular, angle A + angle C needs to equal 90*, so A is equal to 38*.

So then cos(A) = b / c -> b = c * cos(A)
and, sin(A) = a / c -> a = c * cos(A)
 
I figured it out a different way, but thank you for the help anyway.
I got Ry/20=cos52* so Ry=20cos52*=12.3m north
I got Rx/20=sin52* so Rx=20sin52* =15.8m west
 
how do i get graphics like that to draw triangles etc?