Finding p and c from a log-log graph of wavelength vs tension

  • Thread starter Thread starter CharlieChurch
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Waves
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CharlieChurch
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Determine the values of p & c
Use the equation logλ = p x log T + log c
Where log T is on the x-axis and logλis on the y axis.
T is tension C is a constant and I have to find p which will be the slope of the graph plotted.
λ was 50Hz I think that log 10 of 50 is 1.69897. T is the mass x 9.81 N kg-1
T ranges from 0.4905 to 2.4525.
How do I determine C?

It is probably very simple for most of you but for me it is a complete mystery. The longer I struggle the more circles I complete.
Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CharlieChurch said:
Determine the values of p & c
Use the equation logλ = p x log T + log c
Where log T is on the x-axis and logλis on the y axis.
T is tension C is a constant and I have to find p which will be the slope of the graph plotted.
λ was 50Hz

It is probably very simple for most of you but for me it is a complete mystery. The longer I struggle the more circles I complete.
Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

you can rearrange your equation as

logf=log(Tp*c)

so that will give you
f=Tp*c

now compare it with the equation

f=([itex]\frac{T}{μ}[/itex])1/2[itex]\frac{1}{λ}[/itex]

check for constants.

Note:I am using "f" as frequency. In your problem you have taken it as λ
in my solution i have taken λ as wavelength.