Find Wavelengh - Young't Double Slit

And welcome to the world of posting! :smile:In summary, the wavelength of light from a discharge lamp can be calculated using the formula wavelength = xd/D, where x is the perpendicular distance of the first-order bright fringe from the mid-point of the slits, d is the slit separation, and D is the slit-to-screen distance. In this case, the calculated wavelength is 5.875x10^-7m, assuming a slit separation of 0.03mm, a perpendicular distance of 2.35cm, and a slit-to-screen distance of 1.2m.
partly

Homework Statement

For light from a discharge lamp, the first-order bright fringe is observed at a perpendicular distance of 2.35cm from the mid-point of the slits, when the slit-to-screen distance is 1.2m and the slit separation is 0.03mm. What is the wavelengh of the light from the lamp?

Homework Equations

Wavelength = xd/D

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 0.0235m, d = 0.00003m, D = 1.2m

Wavelength = xd/D = (0.0235x0.00003)/1.2 = 7.05x10^-7/1.2 = 5.875x10^-7m

Not quite sure where I've gone wrong ..or if I was even on the right path. If you could offer some assistance it would be much appreciated :) (p.s. hi, nice forum ^^)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, :smile: and sorry about the late reply.

There might be an issue with the number of significant figures in your answer, but other than that it looks correct to me. Why do you think it is wrong?

I had the wrong figures in my head for the wavelength of visible light. My answer fits in there quite comfortably as it happens.

Thanks for your reply ..and thanks for your welcome too. Long time lurker, first time poster :smile:

Cool, glad it worked out.

What is Young's double slit experiment?

Young's double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment was first performed by English scientist Thomas Young in 1801.

How do you find the wavelength of light using the Young's double slit experiment?

The wavelength of light can be found by measuring the distance between the slits and the distance between the interference fringes on the screen. The wavelength can be calculated using the formula λ = d*sin(θ), where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the slits, and θ is the angle between the central maximum and the first-order maximum on the screen.

What is the significance of the interference pattern in the Young's double slit experiment?

The interference pattern in the Young's double slit experiment is significant because it demonstrates the wave nature of light. The pattern is created when light waves from the two slits interfere with each other, resulting in areas of constructive and destructive interference. This pattern is a key piece of evidence for the wave theory of light.

How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern in the Young's double slit experiment?

The distance between the slits plays a crucial role in the interference pattern. If the distance is increased, the fringes become closer together, resulting in a larger angle θ and a smaller wavelength. If the distance is decreased, the fringes become further apart, resulting in a smaller angle θ and a larger wavelength. This relationship is described by the formula λ = d*sin(θ).

Can the Young's double slit experiment be used to study other types of waves besides light?

Yes, the Young's double slit experiment can be used to study any type of wave, including sound waves and water waves. The principles of interference and diffraction that are demonstrated in this experiment apply to all types of waves. However, the distance between the slits and the wavelength of the wave must be taken into consideration in order to accurately measure the wavelength.