1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Wavelengh - Young't Double Slit

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For light from a discharge lamp, the first-order bright fringe is observed at a perpendicular distance of 2.35cm from the mid-point of the slits, when the slit-to-screen distance is 1.2m and the slit separation is 0.03mm. What is the wavelengh of the light from the lamp?

2. Relevant equations
    Wavelength = xd/D

3. The attempt at a solution
    x = 0.0235m, d = 0.00003m, D = 1.2m

Wavelength = xd/D = (0.0235x0.00003)/1.2 = 7.05x10^-7/1.2 = 5.875x10^-7m

Not quite sure where I've gone wrong ..or if I was even on the right path. If you could offer some assistance it would be much appreciated :) (p.s. hi, nice forum ^^)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums, :smile: and sorry about the late reply.

There might be an issue with the number of significant figures in your answer, but other than that it looks correct to me. Why do you think it is wrong?

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    I had the wrong figures in my head for the wavelength of visible light. My answer fits in there quite comfortably as it happens.

Thanks for your reply ..and thanks for your welcome too. Long time lurker, first time poster :smile:

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cool, glad it worked out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook