Find wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation

In summary, the wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation with an energy of 0.877 keV is 1.414 nm. This can be calculated using the formula λ=hc/E, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and E is the energy in joules. The conversion factor between an electron-volt and a joule can be found on the AP equation sheet. It is important to use the correct number of significant figures in the calculation.
trivk96

Homework Statement

A quantum of electromagnetic radiation has
an energy of 0.877 keV.
What is its wavelength? The speed of light
is 2.99792 × 10
8 m/s, and Planck’s constant
is 6.62607 × 10−34J · s.
Answer in units of nm

Homework Equations

E=hf
v=fλ
... λ=v/(E/h)

The Attempt at a Solution

When i solved, i got 1.413728e-9 nm... I have checked my units. can some just help and point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
v is usually written as c when one speaks of the speed of light in vacuum. Also, the double fraction reduces to:
[tex]
\frac{c}{\frac{E}{h}} = \frac{h \, c}{E}
[/tex]
For this answer, you need to know the conversion factor between an electron-volt (eV) and a joule as energy units. Do you know it?

Dickfore said:
v is usually written as c when one speaks of the speed of light in vacuum. Also, the double fraction reduces to:
[tex]
\frac{c}{\frac{E}{h}} = \frac{h \, c}{E}
[/tex]
For this answer, you need to know the conversion factor between an electron-volt (eV) and a joule as energy units. Do you know it?

Yes i did convert it but i still got it wrong

how did you convert it, and what did you get?

I did it again and i got 1.414E-8 ... and i think that is in meters. Am i right??

so that means that the answer is14.14nm

I used Plancks constant in eV's. Its on the ap equation sheet

I didn't get that. What did you get for the energy in joules?

1.405109518e-16 J

This is correct. Now:
[tex]
\frac{h \, c}{E} = \frac{6.626 \times 10^{-34} \, \mathrm{J} \cdot \mathrm{s} \times 2.998 \times 10^8 \, \mathrm{m} \cdot \mathrm{s}^{-1}}{1.4051 \times 10^{-16} \, \mathrm{J}}
[/tex]

The product and ratio of the mantissas, gives:
[tex]
\frac{6.626 \times 2.998}{1.4051} = 14.14
[/tex]
The exponents sum up to [itex]-34 + 8 - (-16) = -10[/itex]. You may read off the units from the above fraction fairly easily.

What should the answer be in scientific form?

so in nm, it would be 1.414

yes, except that you need to use as many significant figures, as there are in variable with the least number of significant figures given in the problem. Fundamental constants are usually known to a lot of significant figures.

Thank You

1. What is the wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation?

The wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation is determined by its frequency and can be calculated using the formula: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. The speed of light is a constant value of 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How is the wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation related to its energy?

The wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation is inversely proportional to its energy. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the energy of the radiation increases. This relationship is described by the equation: energy = Planck's constant x frequency.

3. Can the wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation be measured?

Yes, the wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation can be measured using various methods such as diffraction, interference, or spectroscopy. These techniques involve measuring the changes in the direction, intensity, or spectrum of the radiation, respectively.

4. What is the unit of wavelength for a quantum of electromagnetic radiation?

The unit of wavelength for a quantum of electromagnetic radiation is meters (m) in the International System of Units (SI). However, it is also commonly expressed in nanometers (nm) or angstroms (Å), especially in the fields of optics and spectroscopy.

5. How does the wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation determine its properties?

The wavelength of a quantum of electromagnetic radiation determines its properties in several ways. For example, shorter wavelengths correspond to higher frequencies and energies, which can result in more ionizing and penetrating radiation. Additionally, different wavelengths of radiation are selectively absorbed or transmitted by different materials, which can be used for various applications such as in medical imaging or remote sensing.