Find where and when the trajectory angle is 10 degrees?

In summary, the conversation discusses a projectile motion problem involving a rock thrown at 35m/s and an angle of 48 degrees. The question is to find where and when the trajectory angle is 10 degrees. The teacher's solution involves deriving the path equation and setting it equal to tan 10, which represents the direction of the velocity at any instant. However, a simpler solution is to use basic equations and calculate the vertical and horizontal velocities at 10 degrees, and then use them to find the time and distance traveled.
hwall95

Homework Statement

Okay, this is a projectile motion problem(No Drag) where a rock is thrown as 35m/s at an angle of 48 degrees. The question that I am struggling with is: "Find where and when the trajectory angle is 10 degrees?"

Homework Equations

The Equation that my teacher was used was that he used the path equation: y = xtan(∅) - gx2/2u2 (tan2(∅)+1)
He then derived it and let it equal tan 10.

However my main problem is that i don't understand why he derived it and then let it equal tan 10. Because the path equation depicts motion of projectile in relation to it y and x motion, thus if you derive it you would get the velocity motion which would not be useful for this application right?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my teacher's solution:
y = xtan(∅) - gx2/2u2 (tan2(∅)+1)
tan 48 = 1.11 u = 35 g = 9.8

y = 1.11x - 9.8x2/2450(2.2334)
= 1.11x -0.004x2*2.2334
= 1.11x - 0.00893x2
dy/dx = 1.11 - 0.01763x
tan 10 = 0.1763 = 1.11 - 0.01787x
0.01787x = 1.11-0.1763
x = 52.248m
Ive tried using a range of equation, but they all rely on the initial angle, thus any attempt to sub 11° kinda wrecked the whole equation.

Anyways if anyone could help me understand why the derivative of the path equation can work out when and where the trajectory angle is 11° it would be much appreciated,
Cheers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In the projectile motion, at any instant, dx/dt is the velocity in the horizontal direction and dy/dt is the velocity in the vertical direction. The direction of the velocity at that instant is given by tanθ = vy/ vx = dy/dx. That is what your teacher did.

rl.bhat said:
In the projectile motion, at any instant, dx/dt is the velocity in the horizontal direction and dy/dt is the velocity in the vertical direction. The direction of the velocity at that instant is given by tanθ = vy/ vx = dy/dx. That is what your teacher did.

Okay thanks, that makes a lot of sense actually. Haha thanks for your help :)

I do it this way, with simple equation applied.

At 10° trajectory angle,
Tan(10°)=vy/vx

vy=35.Cos48°.Tan10°=4.13m/s

t=(35.Sin48°-4.13)/9.8=2.23s
x=2.23 x 35.Cos48°=52.22m

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
I do it this way, with simple equation applied.

At 10° trajectory angle,
Tan(10°)=vy/vx

vy=35.Cos48°.Tan10°=4.13m/s

t=(35.Sin48°-4.13)/9.8=2.23s
x=2.23 x 35.Cos48°=52.22m

Hahaha wow that's even simpler, haha i guess it saves messing around with the path equation then, thanks heaps :)

1. What does "trajectory angle" refer to in this question?

"Trajectory angle" refers to the angle at which an object's path or trajectory is inclined or tilted relative to the horizontal plane.

2. How is the trajectory angle determined?

The trajectory angle is typically determined through calculations using data on the object's position, velocity, and acceleration. It can also be measured using specialized tools such as protractors or inclinometers.

3. Why is it important to know the trajectory angle?

Knowing the trajectory angle can help us understand and predict the path of an object, which is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and aviation. It can also help us determine the optimal angle for launching or propelling objects.

4. Can the trajectory angle change over time?

Yes, the trajectory angle can change over time depending on various factors such as external forces, air resistance, and the object's own characteristics. This change can also be affected by the object's initial trajectory angle.

5. How can we find where and when the trajectory angle is 10 degrees?

To find where and when the trajectory angle is 10 degrees, we need to collect data on the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points along its path. Then, we can use mathematical equations or graphical methods to analyze the data and determine the specific location and time when the trajectory angle is 10 degrees.