Finding the angle of projection and its speed in 2D Kinetics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
dahano
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

: The trajectory of a projectile in a vertical plane is y = √3 x - (1/5)x2, where x and y are respectively horizontal and vertical distances of the projectile from the point of projection. Find the angle of projection and speed of projection.[/B]

Homework Equations

: 2-Dimensional Equations and maybe calculus.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: Honestly, I can't even understand that how do I begin with this question. I've tried some wild attempts but they landed me no where :-( Can you please guide me with the solution to this question? [/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dahano said:
I've tried some wild attempts but they landed me no where :-

Please post these attempts .

However I still give a hint :

What does dy/dx represent ?
What is the formula for Range ?
 
The angle of projection can be found from the gradient of the graph at what point?
 
I figured out the formula for Ran
Qwertywerty said:
Please post these attempts .

However I still give a hint :

What does dy/dx represent ?
What is the formula for Range ?

I figured out the formula of range as: u2Sin2(theta)/g

Can you tell me that how would it be done further?
 
andrevdh said:
The angle of projection can be found from the gradient of the graph at what point?
Sorry to ask a stupid question but what do you mean by point? Can you please show me how would it be solved?
 
dahano said:
I figured out the formula of range as: u2Sin2(theta)/g

Can you tell me that how would it be done further?

Here - dy/dx at x = 0 represents tan(θ) ( where θ is angle of projection ) .

Find range , and then using formula for range find u .
 
Last edited:
What does the trajectory or path of the projectile look like?
What is the equation which describes the path or trajectory?
 
dahano said:
I figured out the formula of range as: u2Sin2(theta)/g
Please attach your working for this.