1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find which value of x horizontal Tangent Line

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    Find which value of x....horizontal Tangent Line

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is given is F(x)= -4/(x-3)(x+4) and the problem asks for to find the value of x where f(x) has a horizontal tangent line.

2. Relevant equations
    I read somewhere else on these forms that using the quotient rule is the key, and that you make F'(x) to be equal to 0. If this is correct, I need some clarification on how it'd be put into the formula.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Find which value of x....horizontal Tangent Line

Well yes a horizontal tangent line, means that the gradient of the tangent at that point is zero, so F'(x)=0.

But you don't necessarily need to use the quotient rule, the chain rule would suffice as well.

So first find, F'(x)

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3

So, that means the left side is euqal to zero, or is every where (including left side) that is f '(x) is equal to zero. Or, am I looking for the derivative, but anywhere in the formula I see that has f ' (x) is simply zero. Thanks in advance.

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Just find the expression for F'(x) and just equate that expression to zero and solve for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook