1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find y'' by implicit differentiation

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find y'' by implicit differentiation.

2. Relevant equations

_LARGE_9x2y29.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

_LARGE__fracddx9x2y2_fracddx9.gif

_LARGE_18x2y_fracddx0.gif

_LARGE_2y_fracddx-18x.gif

_LARGE__fracddx_frac-18x2y.gif

_LARGE__fracddx_frac-9xy.gif

I get to this point in the problem, which is I solved for y'. But then when I attempt to take y'', in other words take the derivative of my answer for y', I don't get the answer that is in the back of the book.

Many thanks in advance,
    Bob

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You went astray in the 2nd line and all following lines. The second line should be
    18x + 2y dy/dx = 0 and your last line should be dy/dx = -9x/y. Now take the derivative again, keeping in mind that you need to use the quotient rule and the chain rule, in that order.

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

so y*y'=-9x

so take d/dx of both sides

for d/dx(y*y') use the product rule .

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4
    Bob, your last equation can be rewritten as; y'=-9xy^-1---->from here here you may get the y" by product rule and arrive at having y"=9/y^2(x-y)--->is this what you got in your book?

6. Oct 12, 2009 #5
    You can rewrite your last equation to: yy'=-9x---> from here try implicit differentiation.
    You'll arrive at having: yy"+y'y'=-9; next, substitute the value of y'=-9x/y (previously derived); You'll arrive at having: y"=-9/y^3(9x^2+y^2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook