What is the Solution to Implicit Differentiation Homework with Given Values?

In summary: All you need is to treat a, b, and c as implicit functions of t, and then differentiate implicitly, as hinted at in the title of this thread. IOW, you can interpret the original equation to mean ##\frac 1 {a(t)} = \frac 1 {b(t)} + \frac 1 {c(t)}##.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Let ##\frac{1}{a}=\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}##
If ##\frac{db}{dt}=0.2## ,## \frac{dc}{dt}=0.3## , Find ##\frac{da}{dt}## when a=80 , b=100
Relevant Equations
-
Homework Statement: Let ##\frac{1}{a}=\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}##
If ##\frac{db}{dt}=0.2## ,## \frac{dc}{dt}=0.3## , Find ##\frac{da}{dt}## when a=80 , b=100
Homework Equations: -

Since we are supposed to find ##\frac{da}{dt}##, I can deduce that:
## \frac{da}{dt} =\frac{da}{dc}\cdot\frac{dc}{dt} = (\frac{db}{dc}\cdot\frac{da}{db})\cdot\frac{dc}{dt} =((\frac{db}{dt}\cdot\frac{dt}{dc})\cdot\frac{da}{db})\cdot\frac{dc}{dt} = ((\frac{0.2}{0.3}\cdot\frac{da}{db})\cdot0.3## = Answer?

To find ##\frac{da}{db}##, I need to differentiate implicitly, which gives me ##\frac{da}{db}##=1 ? (Not sure if it's correct), hence the answer is 1*0.2/0.3*0.3?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
I need to differentiate implicitly, which gives me ##\frac{da}{db}##=1 ? (Not sure if it's correct)
No, that's not correct. Differentiate both sides of the original equation with respect to t, not b. Assume that each of a, b, c is a function of t. You will get an equation with the three derivatives wrt t in it, and the three amounts a, b, c. Making the above numeric substitutions you will get an equation that relates ##\frac{da}{dt}## to c. You can rearrange that to express ##\frac{da}{dt}## in terms of c, which is what I presume they want you to do.

Likes jisbon
in addition to what @andrewkirk says, you can also find c when a=80,b=100 by using the original equation.

Likes jisbon
andrewkirk said:
No, that's not correct. Differentiate both sides of the original equation with respect to t, not b. Assume that each of a, b, c is a function of t. You will get an equation with the three derivatives wrt t in it, and the three amounts a, b, c. Making the above numeric substitutions you will get an equation that relates ##\frac{da}{dt}## to c. You can rearrange that to express ##\frac{da}{dt}## in terms of c, which is what I presume they want you to do.
Delta2 said:
in addition to what @andrewkirk says, you can also find c when a=80,b=100 by using the original equation.
Will it be something like: ##\frac{-1}{a^2}\frac{da}{dt}=\frac{-1}{b^2}\frac{db}{dt}+\frac{-1}{c^2}\frac{dc}{dt}##?

Oh ok. Then I guess I could solve the question easily now. Thanks for the clarification :smile:

It is often seen as an application of the chain rule as others said. First equation sets up a as a function of b,c and it is assumed both b,c are functions of t. Then we apply the total derivative which uses the chain rule ,i.e, we have a=a(b(t),c(t)) and we go from there to define da/dt.

WWGD said:
It is often seen as an application of the chain rule as others said. First equation sets up a as a function of b,c and it is assumed both b,c are functions of t. Then we apply the total derivative which uses the chain rule ,i.e, we have a=a(b(t),c(t)) and we go from there to define da/dt.
Or more simply, without using the total derivative...
Since a is a function of b and c, with b and c being functions of t, then a is also a function of t.
Just differentiate all with respect to t using the chain rule, exactly as @jisbon shows in post #4.

Mark44 said:
Or more simply, without using the total derivative...
Since a is a function of b and c, with b and c being functions of t, then a is also a function of t.
Just differentiate all with respect to t using the chain rule, exactly as @jisbon shows in post #4.
I don't know of any setup for chain rule using two variables that does not use the total derivative. I have seen, of course, for one variable but not for two or more. But I guess it comes down to the same in the end.

WWGD said:
I don't know of any setup for chain rule using two variables that does not use the total derivative. I have seen, of course, for one variable but not for two or more.
You don't need to treat a as a function of two variables; i.e., a = f(b, c).
All you need is to treat a, b, and c as implicit functions of t, and then differentiate implicitly, as hinted at in the title of this thread. IOW, you can interpret the original equation to mean ##\frac 1 {a(t)} = \frac 1 {b(t)} + \frac 1 {c(t)}##.

BTW, this is standard fare in first quarter/first semester calculus, usually presented before any discussion of the total derivative.

Well, now the OP knows two techniques and can choose which one to apply. I get to decide since i have 4444 messages, using 44 twice--- not just once;).

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. It involves treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable and using the chain rule to find the derivative.

2. How do I solve implicit differentiation problems?

To solve an implicit differentiation problem, you first need to identify the dependent and independent variables. Then, you can use the chain rule and other derivative rules to find the derivative of the function. Finally, plug in the given values to find the solution.

3. What are the benefits of using implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to explicitly solve for the dependent variable. This is useful when the function is complex and difficult to solve algebraically.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit differentiation include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the dependent and independent variables, and not simplifying the derivative expression.

5. How can I check my solution to an implicit differentiation problem?

You can check your solution by plugging in the given values into the original function and comparing it to the value of the derivative that you calculated. If they are equal, then your solution is likely correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to visualize the function and its derivative to check for any errors.