Find Y when AxY=B, BxY=C, and B is unknown

• Thread starter 1plus1is10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    algebra
In summary: HS)In summary, Mark discovered that sqrt(x) is the same as pow(x, 1/2), and that pow() is a standard library function in C and C++. He suggests that if all you need is the square root, most languages have a library function called sqrt(). However, he does not think either of these would have been helpful for this problem. He suggests that if you need two or three or four numbers between the two you have (e.g. A,1,2,C or A,1,2,3,C or A,1,2,3,4,C etc.), you can use pow(). Finally, he mentions that he has
1plus1is10
How do I:
Find Y when AxY=B, BxY=C, and B is unknown?
(A and C are known)

Example: If A=100 and C=169 then Y=1.3 and B=130

I assume I use log or pow but cannot figure it out.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1plus1is10 said:
How do I:
Find Y when AxY=B, BxY=C, and B is unknown?
(A and C are known)

Example: If A=100 and C=169 then Y=1.3 and B=130

I assume I use log or pow but cannot figure it out.
Thanks.
No, logs are not needed.
Just solve for y in the first equation, then solve for y in the second equation, and equate the two expressions for y. If you know a and b, then you should be able to find c, and from that, you can find y.

Tips: Algebra equations typically use lower-case letters for variables. Also, don't use x for multiplication, especially in equations that already involve x (which your equations don't). Instead of writing AxY and BxY, just write AY and BY or ay and by.

Okay... If B=A*Y and B=C/Y then C/Y=A*Y

Solution One:
A=(C/Y)/Y = C/(Y*Y) = C*1/(Y*Y) = 1/(Y*Y)*C
A/C=1/(Y*Y)
(A/C)/(Y*Y)=1
(A/C)*1/(Y*Y)=1
1/(Y*Y)=1/(A/C)
I'm clueless what happens next

Solution Two:
C=(A*Y)*Y = A*(Y*Y) = (Y*Y)*A
C/A=Y*Y
sqrt(C/A)=Y

Test:
sqrt(169/100)=1.3
Yeah! I did it!

Thanks Mark for pointing the way.

PS... sorry about using Caps

A/C=1/(Y*Y)
(A/C)*(Y*Y)=1
(Y*Y)*(A/C)=1
(Y*Y)=1/(A/C)
Y=sqrt(1/(A/C))
I did it again!

I moved the thread to our homework section.

Note that -1.3 is a solution as well.

mfb, this wasn't homework. LOL

Mark, my first instinct regarding pow was right:
I discovered that sqrt(x) is the same as pow(x, 1/2)
I mention this because last night while I was trying to sleep it came to me.
I thought... What if I need 2 or 3 or 4 numbers between the 2 I have (e.g. A,1,2,C or A,1,2,3,C or A,1,2,3,4,C etc.)?
Well, after a while, it clicked with me what the answer is: pow(x, 1/3) or pow(x, 1/4) or pow(x, 1/5) etc.

Thanks again though, because I wrote about "equate two equations" (a.k.a. "substitution method") in my personal Math Notes.
Very helpful - I never know when I will need it again.

1plus1is10 said:
mfb, this wasn't homework. LOL
But it's homework-like or could be a problem in a textbook, which means that the place to post it is here in the Homework & Coursework sections.
1plus1is10 said:
Mark, my first instinct regarding pow was right:
I discovered that sqrt(x) is the same as pow(x, 1/2)
pow() is a standard library function in C and C++ and possibly a few other languages. If all you need is the square root, most languages have a library function called sqrt(). However, why are you bringing in programming functions to what is a fairly simple problem in algebra?

For this problem, neither would have been helpful. In solving for b, the next to last step is ##b^2 = 169 * 100 = 16,900##. If you naively take the square root (or the 1/2 power), you get b = 130, but b = -130 is also a solution of the equation ##b^2 = 16,900##. This means that ##y = \pm 1.3##. That's what @mfb was talking about at the bottom of post #6.
1plus1is10 said:
I mention this because last night while I was trying to sleep it came to me.
I thought... What if I need 2 or 3 or 4 numbers between the 2 I have (e.g. A,1,2,C or A,1,2,3,C or A,1,2,3,4,C etc.)?
Well, after a while, it clicked with me what the answer is: pow(x, 1/3) or pow(x, 1/4) or pow(x, 1/5) etc.
I have no idea what you're trying to do here.
1plus1is10 said:
Thanks again though, because I wrote about "equate two equations" (a.k.a. "substitution method") in my personal Math Notes.
Very helpful - I never know when I will need it again.
You aren't really "equating two equations" -- you're equating two expressions that have the same value. It doesn't make sense to set two equations equal to each other.

Mark44 said:
I have no idea what you're trying to do here.
I'm sorry you have gotten frustrated with me.

As for what I'm doing... Well to do my best at using math words: I'm "interpolating a power series" (sort of).
And yes, it's computer code - C++ in fact... I create charts - I'm visual.
Numbers, formulas, "Math", ugh! - I know it's right when I "see" it.
I wish I understood it more, but I don't - I accept that (I don't let it get me down).
I've got you, right?

(we're almost neighbors. I'm up here in Bellingham - hello there. My wife and I are heading down to Bellevue tomorrow to watch a movie - 11yr anniversary)

1plus1is10 said:
we're almost neighbors. I'm up here in Bellingham - hello there
Hello, back. I'm a couple of counties south of you.

1. What is the value of Y?

The value of Y can be found by solving the equations AxY=B and BxY=C simultaneously. This can be done by substituting the value of B from the first equation into the second equation, giving you an equation with only one variable (Y) that can be solved for.

2. How do you solve for Y when B is unknown?

To solve for Y when B is unknown, you need to use the two equations AxY=B and BxY=C. By substituting the value of B from the first equation into the second equation, you can create an equation with only one variable (Y) that can be solved for.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for Y in these equations?

Sure! Let's say we have the equations 2xY=6 and 3xY=9. To solve for Y, we can first divide both equations by x to get Y=3 and Y=3, respectively. This means that our solution for Y is 3.

4. Is there only one possible value for Y in these equations?

No, there can be multiple possible values for Y in these equations. However, if the equations are consistent (meaning they have a solution), then there will only be one unique value for Y that satisfies both equations.

5. Can these equations be solved if both A and B are unknown?

Yes, these equations can still be solved even if A and B are unknown. However, you will need additional information or equations to find the values of both A and B. Otherwise, you will end up with an equation with two variables (A and B) and only one equation, which is not enough to solve for either variable.