1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Findinf residue of 1/5+4sin(deta)

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    it ask me to integral from 0 to 2pi for 1/[5+4sin(deta)]

2. Relevant equations
    i knoe i nid to find out the pole bu convert sin(deta) into exponential fomat

3. The attempt at a solution
    after i solve it until 2z^2+5iz-2 i stucked,can i juz use [-b+-squarot[b^2-4ac]]/2a formula to solve this by juz let my b=5i?
    and i get the answer is in negative value,if i do that.i think i might wrong ,any one can help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. You can use the quadratic equation to solve something like that. But I don't think you've got the right quadratic and I don't know what "i get the answer is in negative value". You really need to show your work.

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3
    ∫1/5+4sin(deta) dθ =∫(dz/iz)/[5+4(z/2i-1/2iz)]
    = ∫(dz)/[5iz+4(iz^2/2i-iz/2iz)]
    = ∫(dz)/[5iz+(4iz^2)/(2i)-4iz/2iz)]
    =∫(dz)/[5iz+2z^2-2]

then i nid solve 5iz+2z^2-2 to get my pole,am i wrong??? then i will get my root in -0.5i and -2i.

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, that's what I get. I made a mistake but I caught it thanks you to showing what you did.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook