1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Trigonometric integrals using cauchy residue theorem

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

evaluate the given trigonometric integral

∫1/(cos(θ)+2sin(θ)+3) dθ

where the lower limit is 0 and the upper limit is 2π

2. Relevant equations

z = e^(iθ)
    cosθ = (z+(z)^-1)/2
    sinθ = (z-(z)^-1)/2i
    dθ = dz/iz

3. The attempt at a solution

after I substitute and simplify the integral i get this

2∫1/[(2+i)z^2 + 6iz + (i-2)] dz

This is being integrated over a closed surface. The closed surface is a the unit circle (aka |z| = 1)

when I set the denominator to zero and solve for the poles I end up getting poles at
    z1 = -i/(2+i) and z2 = -5i/(2+i)

this is where i get confused. When i start to do the residue theorem i use the residue at
    z1 = -i/(2+i) because z1 lies within the unit circle and z2 does not. The solution that i have uses both the residues at z1 and z2. If anyone can give me some insight on why i have to use both residues that would be great. The only thing i can think of is that i am not integrating over the unit circle but that would not make sense because i have parameterized the original integrand into a contour integral where the contour is the unit circle.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2
    You have to compute the residue only at the pole inside the unit disk.The other pole is irrelevant for this integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook