1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Basis for a set of vectors

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let H be the set of all vectors of the form [itex](a-3b, b-a, a, b)[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are arbitrary real scalars. Show that H is a subspace of [itex]ℝ^4[/itex] and find a basis for it.

Right, I've shown it's a proper subspace, just need help with finding a basis. Is [itex]{a-3b, b}[/itex] a suitable basis for this?

I achieved this but putting the vectors into matrix form

1 -3
    -1 1
    1 0
    0 1

Reducing them to end up with

1 -3
    0 0
    0 0
    0 1

Is this a proper way to solve this question? Thanks in advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    I believe so. That basis spans a two dimensional substance, because a-3b, and b-a are both linear combination of the remaining two vectors: a, b. By reducing you show that the two were linear combinations, so they went to zero, and you're left with the two basis vectors. Consider one last modification, though:

##\left[
    \begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 0 \\
    0 & 1 \\
    0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right]##

The space is just span(a,b).

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    Great, thanks for that. Makes sense

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly is your answer? Once you have row reduced, the only 4 dimensional vectors we can get from that matrix are (1, 0, 0, 0) and (-3, 0, 0, 1). That clearly cannot be a basis for this space because the second and third components would always be 0 which is not the case here.

And what do you mean by "Is a−3b,b a suitable basis for this?". a and b, and so a- 3b, are numbers, not vectors and so cannot be a "basis".

Here is how I would do it. H is the set of all vectors of the form (a- 3b, b- a, a, b).

(a- 3b, b- a, a, b)= (a, -a, a, 0)+ (-3b, b, 0, b)= a(1, -1, 1, 0)+ b(-3, 1, 0, 1).

And now a basis, and the dimension, are obvious.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  6. Jun 13, 2013 #5
    It's been so long since I've had linear algebra, that is exactly how it's done. I got caught up with the linear dependence. But, HallsofIvy is exactly correct

$$
    a \left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{array}\right) + b\left(\begin{array}-3 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{array}\right) $$gives you the basis vectors. While the subsspace is still dim = 2, it's formed by span##\{\left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{array}\right),\left(\begin{array}-3 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{array}\right)\}##.

Sorry about the dodgy reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted