1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a confidence interval.

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A machine produces metal pieces that are cylindrical in shape. A sample of pieces is taken and the diameters are found to be 1.01, 0.97, 1.03, 1.04, 0.99, 0.98, 0.99, 1.01, 1.03 centimeters. Find a 99% confidence interval for the mean diameter of pieces from this machine, assuming an approximately normal distribution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From our data, we know N = 9. We find the sample mean X(bar) = 1.0056 and standard deviation s = ? (how exactly do we find this? Do we use the equation (1/n-1) * Ʃ (Xi - X(bar))2?. Moving on..

Since we have a normal population but UNKNOWN population variance, we muse use the t statistic: α = 0.01 and tα/2 = 3.355 from the t-distribution table.

1.0056 ± (3.355) * s / √9 and then compute. Is this the way? Also, like I asked before, how do we find s exactly from our data?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just use the standard formulas that can be found in your textbook or in hundreds of sources on-line. The formula you wrote above is almost correct, but you wrote
    [tex] s^2 = \left( \frac{1}{n}-1\right)\sum (x_i - \bar{x})^2[/tex]
    instead of the correct
    [tex] s^2 = \frac{1}{n-1} \sum (x_i - \bar{x})^2 .[/tex] In other words, use (1/(n-1))!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook