Confidence interval of two sample tests

In summary, the consumer group found that the tire wear on the two brands of tire varied by mileage. The 95% confidence interval for the difference in mean 103 mileages before heal and toe wear is 32.92-36.27.
hahaha158

Homework Statement

Some car tires can develop what is known as "heel and toe" wear if not rotated after a certain mileage. To assess this issue, a consumer group investigated the tire wear on two brands of tire, A and B, say. Fifteen cars were fitted with new brand A tires and thirteen with brand B tires, the cars assigned to brand at random. (Two cars initially assigned to brand B suffered serious tire faults other than heel and toe wear, and were excluded from the study.) The cars were driven in regular driving conditions, and the mileage at which heal and toe wear could be observed was recorded on each car. For the cars with brand A tires, the mean mileage observed was 24.99 (in 103 miles ) and the variance was 7.75 (in 106 miles2). For the cars with brand B, the corresponding statistics were 32.92 (in 103miles) and 6.47 (in 106 miles2 ) respectively. The mileage before heal and toe wear is detectable is assumed to be Normally distributed for both brands.

Calculate the pooled variance s2 to 3 decimal places. During intermediate steps to arrive at the answer, make sure you keep as many decimal places as possible so that you can achieve the precision required in this question.

Determine a 95% confidence interval for μA−μB, the difference in the mean 103 mileages before heal and toe wear for the two brands of tire. Leave your answer to 2 decimal places. (

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly sure I know how to do this question, the only issue I have is I am not sure what value to use for n for tire 2. I am assuming we would need to use n = 13 when calculating pooled variance, and n = 11 when calculating the confidence interval? Or would I use n = 11 for everything?

Any help is appreciated, thanks[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I read that to say they initially had 15 and 15, but since 2 were excluded they have 15 and 13. Use 13 for B.

hahaha158 said:

Homework Statement

Some car tires can develop what is known as "heel and toe" wear if not rotated after a certain mileage. To assess this issue, a consumer group investigated the tire wear on two brands of tire, A and B, say. Fifteen cars were fitted with new brand A tires and thirteen with brand B tires, the cars assigned to brand at random. (Two cars initially assigned to brand B suffered serious tire faults other than heel and toe wear, and were excluded from the study.) The cars were driven in regular driving conditions, and the mileage at which heal and toe wear could be observed was recorded on each car. For the cars with brand A tires, the mean mileage observed was 24.99 (in 103 miles ) and the variance was 7.75 (in 106 miles2). For the cars with brand B, the corresponding statistics were 32.92 (in 103miles) and 6.47 (in 106 miles2 ) respectively. The mileage before heal and toe wear is detectable is assumed to be Normally distributed for both brands.

Calculate the pooled variance s2 to 3 decimal places. During intermediate steps to arrive at the answer, make sure you keep as many decimal places as possible so that you can achieve the precision required in this question.

Determine a 95% confidence interval for μA−μB, the difference in the mean 103 mileages before heal and toe wear for the two brands of tire. Leave your answer to 2 decimal places. (

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly sure I know how to do this question, the only issue I have is I am not sure what value to use for n for tire 2. I am assuming we would need to use n = 13 when calculating pooled variance, and n = 11 when calculating the confidence interval? Or would I use n = 11 for everything?

Any help is appreciated, thanks[/B]

I cannot figure out what you mean in parts of the problem statement. The statement that the mean is 24.99 is simple enough, but where does the "103 miles" come into it? The statement that the variance is 7.75 is simple enough, but where does the "106 miles2" come in? Do you mean that a car makes an average of 24.99 103-mile trips (in other words, drives an average of 2,573.97 miles)? Do you mean that the variance is (7.75)(106) = 821.5 miles2?

I think "103" and "106" are supposed to be 103 and 106.

vela said:
I think "103" and "106" are supposed to be 103 and 106.

Thank you; that makes sense. Too bad the OP could not have been as helpful.

1. What is a confidence interval in two sample tests?

A confidence interval in two sample tests is a range of values that is likely to include the true difference between the means of two populations. It provides a measure of the uncertainty in the estimate of the difference between the two means.

2. How is a confidence interval calculated in two sample tests?

A confidence interval is calculated by using the sample means, standard deviations, and sample sizes of the two groups. The calculation involves taking into account the variability of the sample data and the desired level of confidence, typically 95%, to determine the range of values that is likely to include the true difference between the two population means.

3. What does the confidence level represent in a two sample test?

The confidence level is the probability that the calculated confidence interval contains the true difference between the two population means. For example, a confidence level of 95% means that if the same study was repeated many times, we would expect the calculated confidence interval to include the true difference in 95% of those studies.

4. How does the sample size affect the confidence interval in two sample tests?

The sample size directly affects the width of the confidence interval in two sample tests. A larger sample size will result in a narrower confidence interval, as it provides more precise estimates of the population means. Conversely, a smaller sample size will result in a wider confidence interval, as there is more variability in the sample data and less certainty in the estimate of the population means.

5. Can a confidence interval be used to make a conclusion about the difference between two population means?

Yes, a confidence interval can be used to draw conclusions about the difference between two population means. If the confidence interval does not contain zero, it indicates that there is a statistically significant difference between the two means. However, if the confidence interval contains zero, it suggests that there is not enough evidence to conclude that there is a difference between the two population means.