Finding a cube root of a number without using calculator .

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about finding a cube root without using a calculator. The participants shared their experiences with finding square roots without a calculator and asked for help in finding a method for cube roots. They were directed to a link that provided a numerical recipe for calculating cube roots using a recursive method. One participant also shared their experience with learning how to calculate square roots before calculators were invented.
Emmanuel_Euler
HI EVERYONE
I was thinking if we could find a cube root without using a calculator.
square root was easy to find without calculator,but cube root i have no idea to find it.
any help??
for example(cube root of 3 or 2)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
finding a square root without using calculator.

Try this link: http://www.mathpath.org/Algor/cuberoot/algor.cube.root.htm

You might find it interesting that when I was in the 8th or 9th grade, we were taught how to calculate square roots by the method shown in the video you posted. That was before calculators were invented...

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
A numerical recipe for calculating [itex] \sqrt[3]{a}[/itex]. Set [itex] x_{1}=\frac{a}{3}[/itex] and recursively calculate [itex]x_{n+1}=\frac{1}{3}(2x_{n}+\frac{a}{x_{n}^{2}}) [/itex]. Stop when |xn+1 - xn| is "small enough".

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Thank you so much for help.

What is a cube root?

A cube root is a number that when multiplied by itself three times, results in the original number.

Why would someone want to find a cube root without using a calculator?

Finding a cube root without a calculator can improve mathematical skills and critical thinking abilities. It can also be useful in situations where a calculator is not available.

How can I find a cube root without using a calculator?

One method is to use prime factorization. Write the number as a product of prime factors, then group the factors in threes. The cube root is the product of the factors in each group.

What are some other methods for finding a cube root without using a calculator?

Other methods include using estimation and approximation techniques, such as the Babylonian method or the Newton-Raphson method. These methods involve repeatedly guessing and refining the answer until it is close enough to the actual cube root.

Are there any tips for finding a cube root without a calculator?

Yes, it can be helpful to have a chart of cube numbers memorized, as well as knowing the cube roots of common numbers. Also, breaking down the number into smaller factors can make the process easier.