1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a general solution to an equation

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

I have the following equation containing the variables x and y, where A, c > 0 and B is a constant, which I am not told anything about:

I wish to find two solutions {x_1, y_1} and {x_2, y_2}, to this problem and they must be linearly independant. I thought of doing something like this:

where we now have two second-order polynomials.

My question is: Is there any way to find a general solution to this problem as a function of either x or y?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I'm not following you here. You have an equation in terms of x and y. The solutions of that equation are the collection of (x,y) points which satisfy that equation. So what does it mean for a collection of points to be "linearly independent"? Linear independence should apply only to vectors or functions, don't they?
  4. Sep 19, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with Defennder :smile:

Your equation is obviously a hyperbola.

Is this part of a larger problem, like a differential equation? :confused:
  5. Sep 19, 2008 #4
    But I need to distinct solution - so if one solution is a multple of the other, then I wouldn't be able to use it.

Is there a way to find a general solution to this problem?
  6. Sep 19, 2008 #5
    Ok, here's the story:

I wish to find two solutions to the telegraph equation (a differential equation, second order, linear and homogeneous). I know that it is on the form of u(x,y) = e^(ax) * e^(by), where the 'a' and 'b' in this equation corresponds to the 'x' and 'y' I wrote in my first post. The 'a' and 'b' can by found using the above equation (inserting 'a' and 'b'):

I wish to solve this.

- I should probably have written this from the beginning.. sorry.
  7. Sep 19, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]c^2x^2- (y^2+ 2By )= A[/tex]
    Complete the square: [itex]y^2+ 2By= y^2+ 2By+ B^2- B^2= (y+ B)^2- B^2[/itex]
    [tex]c^2x^2- (y- B)^2= A+ B^2[/tex]
    That is, as tiny-tim said, a hyperbola. I don't understand what you want as a "general solution". That is the general solution: choose any value of y and solve for the corresponding value of x or vice versa.

For example,
    [tex]c^2x^2= (y- B)^2+ A+ B^2[/tex]
    [tex]x^2= \frac{(y-B)^2+ A+ B^2}{c^2}[/tex]
    [tex]x= \frac{\pm\sqrt{(y-b)^2+ A+ B^2}}{c}[/tex]
    [tex](y- B)^2= c^2x^2- A- B^2[/tex]
    [tex]y- B= \pm\sqrt{c^2x^2- A- B^2}[/tex]
    [tex]y= B\pm\sqrt{c^2x^2- A- B^2}[/tex]
  8. Sep 19, 2008 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you post the original differential equation, along with any initial conditions and additional information you are given?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?