Finding a Linear Transformation with specific domail and range

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a matrix in the domain such that the matrix representing a linear transformation L has two null columns. The problem is solved by finding the kernel of a transformed matrix and constructing a new matrix with the kernel in the first two columns. This results in a 4x4 matrix for L with two null columns.
apdixon
Hey, i have an assignment in MATLAB class which is
Let L be a linear transformation such that
L(1)=(2 -1)'
L(1-x)=(1 0)'
L(1+x^2)=(1 1)'
L(1+x^3)=(1 2)'
Determine a matrix in domain such that with the canonical in range, the matrix that represents L has two null columns.

I don't know exactly what they're asking me to find. I found L by solving LP=A, being A the transformed matrix [2 1 1 1;-1 0 1 2], and P the matrix P=[1 1 1 1;0 -1 0 0;0 0 1 0;0 0 0 1]. But it doesn't have two null columns, and it was too easy to find to be true. Pleaaaase help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the matrix for L where the basis for the domain is {1, x, x2, x3} (which is reflected in how you constructed P). If you use a different basis for the domain, you'll get a different matrix that represents the linear transformation L. The problem is asking you to find a basis for the domain so that the matrix has two null columns.

Thank you! I found the Ker for A=[2 1 1 1; -1 0 1 2], then constructed a matrix F with the Ker in the first two columns and (0100)' and (1000)' in the next two so that i had a matrix of 4x4 and then multiplied A*F. I found L=
0 0 1 2
0 0 0 -1 .

1. How do I find a linear transformation with a specific domain and range?

The first step in finding a linear transformation with a specific domain and range is to identify the dimensions of the domain and range. This will determine the size of the transformation matrix. Then, you can use the transformation matrix to map the elements from the domain to the corresponding elements in the range, following the rules of matrix multiplication.

2. Can a linear transformation have different domains and ranges?

Yes, a linear transformation can have different domains and ranges. The only requirement for a transformation to be considered linear is that it preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. As long as these operations are preserved, the specific dimensions of the domain and range do not matter.

3. Is there a specific method for finding a linear transformation?

Yes, there are several methods for finding a linear transformation. One common method is using the standard basis vectors to construct a transformation matrix. Another method is using the Gram-Schmidt process to find an orthogonal basis for the range, which can then be used to construct a transformation matrix.

4. How do I know if a linear transformation exists for a given domain and range?

A linear transformation exists for a given domain and range if the dimensions of the domain and range are compatible. This means that the number of columns in the transformation matrix must equal the number of elements in the domain, and the number of rows must equal the number of elements in the range.

5. Can a linear transformation have more than one solution for a given domain and range?

Yes, a linear transformation can have more than one solution for a given domain and range. This is because there are infinite ways to map elements from a domain to a range while preserving the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. However, some solutions may be more efficient or useful than others depending on the specific application.