1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Linear Transformation with specific domail and range

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    Hey, i have an assignment in matlab class which is
    Let L be a linear transformation such that
    L(1)=(2 -1)'
    L(1-x)=(1 0)'
    L(1+x^2)=(1 1)'
    L(1+x^3)=(1 2)'
    Determine a matrix in domain such that with the canonical in range, the matrix that represents L has two null columns.

I don't know exactly what they're asking me to find. I found L by solving LP=A, being A the transformed matrix [2 1 1 1;-1 0 1 2], and P the matrix P=[1 1 1 1;0 -1 0 0;0 0 1 0;0 0 0 1]. But it doesn't have two null columns, and it was too easy to find to be true. Pleaaaase help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You found the matrix for L where the basis for the domain is {1, x, x2, x3} (which is reflected in how you constructed P). If you use a different basis for the domain, you'll get a different matrix that represents the linear transformation L. The problem is asking you to find a basis for the domain so that the matrix has two null columns.

4. May 27, 2010 #3
    Thank you!!!!!!!! I found the Ker for A=[2 1 1 1; -1 0 1 2], then constructed a matrix F with the Ker in the first two columns and (0100)' and (1000)' in the next two so that i had a matrix of 4x4 and then multiplied A*F. I found L=
    0 0 1 2
    0 0 0 -1 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook