Finding a lot of answers to water boiling point.

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding why water boils at 100°C. Hydrogen bonds were mentioned as a potential answer, but the speaker also found other correct answers such as room pressure, electronegativity difference, and conventional temperature scales. The question was deemed vague and open to various interpretations.
Celciusman

Homework Statement

I had an issue with a professor a while ago. A question was asked, "Why does water boil at 100°C?". What I believe was the targeted answer was something around "Hydrogen bonds."
Hydrogen bonds are a valid answer, I believe also correct enough.
For clarity purposes, I found some more correct answers, which I list below.
I came here to know some more answers, if anyone finds more.
That question is very vague, and allows more proper answers than what it is supposed to be.

2. Some valid solutions
Because Celcius said so.
Because room pressure is 1 atm.
Hydrogen bonds.
Because of the big electronegativity difference between hydrogen and oxygen.
Because it has no strange compound mixed with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because it is convention. Because the two points to fix the temperature scale were taken as the melting point of water and the boiling point of water respectively and assigned values of 0° and 100° respectively.

1. What is the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. However, this value can vary depending on factors such as altitude, atmospheric pressure, and impurities in the water.

2. What are some methods for finding the boiling point of water?

There are several methods for finding the boiling point of water, including using a thermometer, a boiling point apparatus, or using a mathematical equation based on altitude and atmospheric pressure. Additionally, the boiling point can be estimated by observing the formation of bubbles or steam when heating the water.

3. How does altitude affect the boiling point of water?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases, which in turn lowers the boiling point of water. This means that at higher altitudes, water will boil at a lower temperature compared to sea level.

4. Can impurities in water affect its boiling point?

Yes, impurities in water can affect its boiling point. For example, adding salt to water increases its boiling point, while adding sugar or other substances can lower the boiling point. This is because these impurities disrupt the hydrogen bonding between water molecules, which affects the energy required for the water to boil.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the boiling point of water?

Yes, besides altitude and impurities, other factors such as the type of container used, the rate of heating, and the surrounding temperature can also affect the boiling point of water. These factors can impact the efficiency of heat transfer and the stability of the water molecules, leading to variations in the boiling point.