1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a point on a line closest to a point in space

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex] \Delta [/itex] be a line and [itex]A[/itex] a point in space.

delta_point_A.jpg
    [itex ] B [/itex] is a point on [itex] \Delta [/itex] ans H is a point on [itex] \Delta [/itex] such that [itex] \newcommand{\vect}[1]{\vec{#1}} \vec{AH} \perp \Delta [/itex].
    a) Show that [itex] \| \vec{AH} \| \leq \| \vec{AB} \| [/itex] (a geometric reasoning should be used)
    b) Using the inequality proven in a), explain how you can find a point on [itex] \Delta [/itex] closest to a given point [itex] A [/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] \| \vec{AH} \| \leq \| \vec{AB} \| [/itex]

Pythagoras's theorem (I would think...)

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) [itex]
    \| \vec{AB} \|^2 = \| \vec{AH} \|^2 + \| \vec{HB} \|^2 [/itex], according to Pythagoras's theorem
    [itex]\| \vec{AH} \|^2 \leq \| \vec{AH} \|^2 + \| \vec{HB} \|^2 [/itex] , the hypotenuse is the longest side and \| \vec{HB} \|geq 0
    [itex]\| \vec{AH} \|^2 \leq \| \vec{AB} \|^2 [/itex], Pythagoras's theorem again
    [itex]\| \vec{AH} \| \leq \| \vec{AB} \| [/itex]
    So... I think I've successfully showed that the inequality is true. I find it sort of questionable however.

b) I've found many ways to find the closest point on a line, all of which use some sort of an orthogonal projection like [itex] \vec{OR} = \vec{OP} - proj_\vec{v}\vec{AP} [/itex] , where [itex] \vec{v} [/itex] is the direction vector of the line or even [itex] proj_\vec{v}\vec{AH} = 0 [/itex] . None of which, I think you count as using the inequality given in a). So I thought maybe it has something to do with making [itex] \| \vec{AH} \| = \| \vec{AB} \| [/itex] . That's all I really may have figured out... Could you guys help me out on this one?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2014 #2
    I suppose you have to actually make the small step to infer that H is indeed the closest point on the line to A.

Then, you can express any point on the line as a function of some reference point on the line and a multiple ##k## of an along-line vector (i.e. ##\vec v##)
    Then you can express the vector from that point to A (also as a function of ##k##)

Now you have to find some distinctive property of vectors at right angles that you can solve for...

4. Dec 1, 2014 #3
    Thank you so much! Yeah, makes so much sense now! Simply by remembering to infer that H is the closest point on the line to A got me going. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted