Finding a point on a line closest to a point in space

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a point on a line closest to a given point using a geometric reasoning and the inequality \| \vec{AH} \| \leq \| \vec{AB} \| . The solution involves expressing any point on the line as a function of a reference point and a multiple of an along-line vector, and using a distinctive property of vectors at right angles to solve for the point closest to A.
richghost

Homework Statement

Let [itex] \Delta [/itex] be a line and [itex]A[/itex] a point in space.

delta_point_A.jpg

[itex ] B [/itex] is a point on [itex] \Delta [/itex] ans H is a point on [itex] \Delta [/itex] such that [itex] \newcommand{\vect}[1]{\vec{#1}} \vec{AH} \perp \Delta [/itex].
a) Show that [itex] \| \vec{AH} \| \leq \| \vec{AB} \| [/itex] (a geometric reasoning should be used)
b) Using the inequality proven in a), explain how you can find a point on [itex] \Delta [/itex] closest to a given point [itex] A [/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex] \| \vec{AH} \| \leq \| \vec{AB} \| [/itex]

Pythagoras's theorem (I would think...)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [itex]
\| \vec{AB} \|^2 = \| \vec{AH} \|^2 + \| \vec{HB} \|^2 [/itex], according to Pythagoras's theorem
[itex]\| \vec{AH} \|^2 \leq \| \vec{AH} \|^2 + \| \vec{HB} \|^2 [/itex] , the hypotenuse is the longest side and \| \vec{HB} \|geq 0
[itex]\| \vec{AH} \|^2 \leq \| \vec{AB} \|^2 [/itex], Pythagoras's theorem again
[itex]\| \vec{AH} \| \leq \| \vec{AB} \| [/itex]
So... I think I've successfully showed that the inequality is true. I find it sort of questionable however.

b) I've found many ways to find the closest point on a line, all of which use some sort of an orthogonal projection like [itex] \vec{OR} = \vec{OP} - proj_\vec{v}\vec{AP} [/itex] , where [itex] \vec{v} [/itex] is the direction vector of the line or even [itex] proj_\vec{v}\vec{AH} = 0 [/itex] . None of which, I think you count as using the inequality given in a). So I thought maybe it has something to do with making [itex] \| \vec{AH} \| = \| \vec{AB} \| [/itex] . That's all I really may have figured out... Could you guys help me out on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you have to actually make the small step to infer that H is indeed the closest point on the line to A.

Then, you can express any point on the line as a function of some reference point on the line and a multiple ##k## of an along-line vector (i.e. ##\vec v##)
Then you can express the vector from that point to A (also as a function of ##k##)

Now you have to find some distinctive property of vectors at right angles that you can solve for...

Joffan said:
I suppose you have to actually make the small step to infer that H is indeed the closest point on the line to A.

Then, you can express any point on the line as a function of some reference point on the line and a multiple ##k## of an along-line vector (i.e. ##\vec v##)
Then you can express the vector from that point to A (also as a function of ##k##)

Now you have to find some distinctive property of vectors at right angles that you can solve for...

Thank you so much! Yeah, makes so much sense now! Simply by remembering to infer that H is the closest point on the line to A got me going. Thanks again!

1. What is the purpose of finding a point on a line closest to a point in space?

Finding the closest point on a line to a point in space is useful for a variety of applications in geometry, physics, and engineering. It allows us to determine the shortest distance between a point and a line, which can help with optimizing designs or solving problems involving motion or spatial relationships.

2. How do you calculate the closest point on a line to a given point in space?

The closest point on a line to a given point in space can be calculated using the concept of orthogonal projection. This involves finding the perpendicular distance from the given point to the line and then projecting that distance onto the line to determine the closest point.

3. Can the closest point on a line be found if the line is described by an equation?

Yes, the closest point on a line can be found if the line is described by an equation. The equation can be used to determine the slope and y-intercept of the line, which are necessary for calculating the closest point using the orthogonal projection method.

4. Are there any alternative methods for finding the closest point on a line to a given point in space?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding the closest point on a line to a given point in space. One alternative is the method of least squares, which involves minimizing the sum of the squared distances between the given point and points on the line. This method can be used for both linear and nonlinear equations.

5. Is finding the closest point on a line to a point in space a difficult task?

The difficulty of finding the closest point on a line to a point in space depends on the complexity of the problem. In some cases, it can be a relatively straightforward calculation using basic geometry concepts. However, for more complex problems involving nonlinear equations or higher dimensions, it may require advanced mathematical techniques and computational methods.