1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a subsequence from a sequence that converges

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1

ppy

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a real sequence (x[itex]_{n}[/itex]) is defined as follows: we take the elements in order (starting from
    x0) to be

0, 1 , 0 , 1/10 , 2/10 ,... , 9/10, 1 0 , 1/100 ,2/100 ,..., 99/100 , 1 , 0 , 1/1000,...

So we take p for p = 0, 1, then p/10 for p = 0; .... 10, then p=100 for p = 0; ...., 100 and so on.
    Which real numbers A have the property that some subsequence of (xn) converges to A?

Hi,

I am abit confused by what the question is asking do they want me to pick some values from the sequence and then this subsequence should converge to those values. But how can the sequence converge to all those values I have picked surely it can only converge to one of those values. I do not think I understand the question.

Help appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The given sequence doesn't converge. But it has lots of different subsequences that converge. Can you think of some?

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3

ppy

yes for example x4 to x13 which is the numbers from 1/10 to 1 converges to 1. is this all the question is asking? for me to write down different subsequences that converge to any number?

5. Oct 16, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A subsequence of a sequence has to contain an infinite number of elements in the original sequence and in the same order. So, no, that's not one. Try again!

6. Oct 16, 2013 #5

ppy

I don't understand how u can find a subsequence that converges by keeping the terms in the same order because the terms will get larger then smaller then larger etc. so surely they are not converging to anything

7. Oct 16, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick all of the terms that are 0. There are an infinite number of them, so that gives you the subsequence {0,0,0,0,0,...}. Which clearly converges to 0. Now find some more subsequences that converge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted