Finding a subsequence from a sequence that converges

In summary, the given sequence does not converge but has infinite subsequences that can converge. For example, a subsequence of all 0s converges to 0.
ppy

Homework Statement

a real sequence (x[itex]_{n}[/itex]) is defined as follows: we take the elements in order (starting from
x0) to be

0, 1 , 0 , 1/10 , 2/10 ,... , 9/10, 1 0 , 1/100 ,2/100 ,..., 99/100 , 1 , 0 , 1/1000,...

So we take p for p = 0, 1, then p/10 for p = 0; ... 10, then p=100 for p = 0; ..., 100 and so on.
Which real numbers A have the property that some subsequence of (xn) converges to A?

Hi,

I am abit confused by what the question is asking do they want me to pick some values from the sequence and then this subsequence should converge to those values. But how can the sequence converge to all those values I have picked surely it can only converge to one of those values. I do not think I understand the question.

Help appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ppy said:

Homework Statement

a real sequence (x[itex]_{n}[/itex]) is defined as follows: we take the elements in order (starting from
x0) to be

0, 1 , 0 , 1/10 , 2/10 ,... , 9/10, 1 0 , 1/100 ,2/100 ,..., 99/100 , 1 , 0 , 1/1000,...

So we take p for p = 0, 1, then p/10 for p = 0; ... 10, then p=100 for p = 0; ..., 100 and so on.
Which real numbers A have the property that some subsequence of (xn) converges to A?

Hi,

I am abit confused by what the question is asking do they want me to pick some values from the sequence and then this subsequence should converge to those values. But how can the sequence converge to all those values I have picked surely it can only converge to one of those values. I do not think I understand the question.

Help appreciated thanks.

The given sequence doesn't converge. But it has lots of different subsequences that converge. Can you think of some?

yes for example x4 to x13 which is the numbers from 1/10 to 1 converges to 1. is this all the question is asking? for me to write down different subsequences that converge to any number?

ppy said:
yes for example x4 to x13 which is the numbers from 1/10 to 1 converges to 1. is this all the question is asking? for me to write down different subsequences that converge to any number?

A subsequence of a sequence has to contain an infinite number of elements in the original sequence and in the same order. So, no, that's not one. Try again!

I don't understand how u can find a subsequence that converges by keeping the terms in the same order because the terms will get larger then smaller then larger etc. so surely they are not converging to anything

ppy said:
I don't understand how u can find a subsequence that converges by keeping the terms in the same order because the terms will get larger then smaller then larger etc. so surely they are not converging to anything

Pick all of the terms that are 0. There are an infinite number of them, so that gives you the subsequence {0,0,0,0,0,...}. Which clearly converges to 0. Now find some more subsequences that converge.

1. What is the definition of a subsequence?

A subsequence is a sequence that is a subset of a larger sequence, meaning it contains elements from the larger sequence in the same order but may skip some elements.

2. How do you find a subsequence from a given sequence?

To find a subsequence from a given sequence, you can start by looking for a pattern in the sequence. Once you have identified a potential subsequence, you can test it by checking if the elements are in the same order and if any elements are skipped.

3. What does it mean for a subsequence to converge?

A subsequence converges when its elements approach a single value as the number of elements in the subsequence increases. This means that the subsequence becomes more and more similar to the overall sequence's limit as it gets longer.

4. How do you determine if a subsequence converges?

To determine if a subsequence converges, you can compare it to the limit of the overall sequence. If the elements in the subsequence get closer and closer to the overall limit as the subsequence gets longer, then the subsequence converges. You can also use mathematical tests, such as the Monotone Convergence Theorem, to determine convergence.

5. What is the importance of finding a converging subsequence?

Finding a converging subsequence is important because it can help us understand the behavior of a larger sequence. It can also be used to prove the convergence of a sequence, which is crucial in many mathematical and scientific applications.