Finding a Unique Solution to a System of Equations

In summary, the book says that if a=2 then there are no solutions, but that if b+4a^2-4a-7≠0 then the solution is unique.
The Head
Homework Statement
Find when the system of equations is unique:

x-y-2z-2w= 3
y+z+w= 4a+3
z+3w= -4a-4
(-a+2)w= b+4a^2-4a-7
Relevant Equations
Full Rank = Unique
It makes sense that a=2 would cause problems because then we wouldn't have a matrix of full rank and we'd be unable to determine a value for w. But the key also says that when b+4a^2-4a-7≠0. Why is that an issue? For example, if a=1, that just says implies that w=0. Through back-subsitution, we get z=-8, y=15, x=2. And the solution: (2, 15,-8, 0) is unique still because it's the only possible solution, right?

What am I missing here?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct.

If ##a = 2## then there are no solutions, unless also ##b + 4a^2 -4a -7 = 0## when there are infinitely many. Is that what the book means?

Likes The Head
Hmm, yeah, maybe it was just the wording that is a little ambiguous. It says for a=2 AND b≠-1, the solution is inconsistent (makes sense, because then you get something like 0=1), for a≠2 AND b+4a^2-4a-7≠0, it is unique, and for a=2 AND b=-1 there are infinitely many solutions (also makes sense, since then you get 0=0). As long as I'm not missing something fundamental and the basic conditions I'm looking for are correct, I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for helping out with this. I appreciate it.

Likes Delta2
The Head said:
Hmm, yeah, maybe it was just the wording that is a little ambiguous. It says for a=2 AND b≠-1, the solution is inconsistent (makes sense, because then you get something like 0=1), for a≠2 AND b+4a^2-4a-7≠0, it is unique, and for a=2 AND b=-1 there are infinitely many solutions (also makes sense, since then you get 0=0). As long as I'm not missing something fundamental and the basic conditions I'm looking for are correct, I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for helping out with this. I appreciate it.
But that list leaves out a≠2 AND b+4a^2-4a-7=0, and as you say that case does yield a unique solution. So you are right, the "AND b+4a^2-4a-7≠0" is entirely redundant.

Likes The Head

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that are related to each other. The solution to a system of equations is the set of values that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

2. Why is finding a unique solution to a system of equations important?

Finding a unique solution to a system of equations is important because it allows us to determine the exact values of the variables in the system. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as solving for unknown quantities in physics or engineering problems.

3. How do you know if a system of equations has a unique solution?

A system of equations has a unique solution if the number of equations is equal to the number of variables and the equations are independent (i.e. not multiples of each other). This means that there is only one possible set of values that satisfies all of the equations in the system.

4. What methods can be used to find a unique solution to a system of equations?

There are several methods that can be used to find a unique solution to a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the most appropriate method to use will depend on the specific system of equations.

5. Can a system of equations have more than one unique solution?

No, a system of equations can only have one unique solution. If there are multiple solutions, then the system is considered to be inconsistent and does not have a unique solution. However, it is possible for a system of equations to have no solution if the equations are contradictory.