Finding a unit vector with the given properties

In summary, the problem is to find a unit vector that is orthogonal to <1, 1, -2>, forms an angle of π/4 with <1, 1, 1>, and has v1 > 0. Using the equation cosθ = (u·v)/(|u||v|), and knowing that v is a unit vector, we can set up two equations: v1 + v2 - 2v3 = 0 and v1 + v2 + v3 = √3/√2. Solving for v3, we get v3 = √6/6. Plugging this back into the first equation, we can solve for v2. Substituting
Illania

Homework Statement

The problem states to find a unit vector that is orthogonal to [itex]\left\langle1, 1, -2\right\rangle[/itex], forms an angle of [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] with [itex]\left\langle1, 1, 1\right\rangle[/itex] and has v1 > 0.

Homework Equations

[itex]cos\theta = \frac{\vec{u}\bullet\vec{v}}{|\vec{u}||\vec{v}|}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is a unit vector, I know the length is one. This means that in the above equation, the denominator will simply be [itex]|\vec{u}|[/itex].

I know that [itex]\left\langle1, 1, -2\right\rangle \bullet[/itex] [itex]\left\langle v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3}\right\rangle = 0[/itex] so [itex]v_{3} = \frac{v_{1}+v_{2}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]cos(\frac{\pi}{4}) = \frac{\left\langle1, 1, 1\right\rangle \bullet \left\langle v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3}\right\rangle}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex] so

[itex]v_{3} = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} - v_{1} - v_{2}[/itex]

I set the two equations for [itex]v_{3}[/itex] equal to each other and end up with [itex]v_{1} + v_{2} = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{3}[/itex] but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Illania said:

Homework Statement

The problem states to find a unit vector that is orthogonal to [itex]\left\langle1, 1, -2\right\rangle[/itex], forms an angle of [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] with [itex]\left\langle1, 1, 1\right\rangle[/itex] and has v1 > 0.

Homework Equations

[itex]cos\theta = \frac{\vec{u}\bullet\vec{v}}{|\vec{u}||\vec{v}|}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is a unit vector, I know the length is one. This means that in the above equation, the denominator will simply be [itex]|\vec{u}|[/itex].

I know that [itex]\left\langle1, 1, -2\right\rangle \bullet[/itex] [itex]\left\langle v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3}\right\rangle = 0[/itex] so [itex]v_{3} = \frac{v_{1}+v_{2}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]cos(\frac{\pi}{4}) = \frac{\left\langle1, 1, 1\right\rangle \bullet \left\langle v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3}\right\rangle}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex] so

[itex]v_{3} = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} - v_{1} - v_{2}[/itex]

I set the two equations for [itex]v_{3}[/itex] equal to each other and end up with [itex]v_{1} + v_{2} = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{3}[/itex] but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I think you're missing one equation. v is a unit vector, so v12 + v22 + v32 = 1.

Mark44 said:
I think you're missing one equation. v is a unit vector, so v12 + v22 + v32 = 1.

Yes, you're right. I had forgotten about that. Even using that, though, I am still unsure of the next steps I should take. Is the previous work I showed applicable? Was I going in the wrong direction?

Illania said:
I am still unsure of the next steps I should take.
You now know v3, so you can calculate v32, then v12+v22, etc.

You're heading in the right direction. With three equations and three unknowns, you should be able to solve for the coefficients of v.

You might have a mistake in your work in your second equation.

cos(##\pi/4##) = √2 /2. I don't see how you got what you show for v3 from your equation.

Mark44 said:
You're heading in the right direction. With three equations and three unknowns, you should be able to solve for the coefficients of v.

You might have a mistake in your work in your second equation.

cos(##\pi/4##) = √2 /2. I don't see how you got what you show for v3 from your equation.
No, I think it's right. More obviously if you write cos(##\pi/4##) = 1/√2

I think I may be missing something obvious here as I can't seem to figure out how to find v3 from the work I have shown here.

haruspex said:
No, I think it's right. More obviously if you write cos(##\pi/4##) = 1/√2
No, it's not right.

You have
$$\frac{v_1 + v_2 + v_3}{\sqrt{3}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} $$
$$ \Rightarrow v_1 + v_2 + v_3 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}}$$

That's the same as √6/2, not √6/3 as you show.

Your first two equations are
## v_1 + v_2 - 2v_3 = 0##
## v_1 + v_2 + v_3 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}}##

Subtract one of these from the other to solve for v3.

Then substitute that value in the first equation above to solve for v1 in terms of v2.

Then substitute for v1 and v3 in the third equation.

Mark44 said:
No, it's not right.

You have
$$\frac{v_1 + v_2 + v_3}{\sqrt{3}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} $$
$$ \Rightarrow v_1 + v_2 + v_3 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}}$$

That's the same as √6/2, not √6/3 as you show.
√6/3 is the value obtained for v1+v2.

haruspex said:
√6/3 is the value obtained for v1+v2.
OK, I didn't catch that.

Illania said:
[itex]v_{3} = \frac{v_{1}+v_{2}}{2}[/itex]
[itex]v_{1} + v_{2} = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{3}[/itex]
I can't seem to figure out how to find v3 from the work I have shown here.
You can't see how to combine those two equations to find v3?

haruspex said:
You can't see how to combine those two equations to find v3?

Ok, so I've found v3 to be [itex]\frac{\sqrt{6}}{6}[/itex].

I plugged this back into [itex]v_{1} + v_{2} -2v_{3} = 0[/itex] to get [itex]v_{2} = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{3} - v_{1}[/itex].

I plugged this into [itex]v_{1}^{2} + v_{2}^{2} + v_{3}^2 = 1[/itex] and ended up with [itex]2v_{1}^{2} - \frac{2\sqrt{6}}{3}v_{1} -\frac{1}{6} = 0[/itex].

From this, I found that [itex]v_{1} = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{6} \pm \frac{1}{2}[/itex]. I choose that [itex]v_{1} = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{6} + \frac{1}{2}[/itex] since it is greater than 0. From here I get that v2 equals the same thing as v1 using what I have above. However, when I use these values for [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], I get that [itex]\vec{v}\bullet\left\langle1, 1, -2\right\rangle = 1[/itex] rather than the 0 that it should be. I can't seem to catch my mistake here.

EDIT: I've found the mistake. It was a subtraction error. Thank you for the help, everyone.

1. How do I find a unit vector with the given magnitude?

To find a unit vector with a given magnitude, simply divide each component of the vector by the magnitude. This will result in a vector with a magnitude of 1, making it a unit vector.

2. Can a unit vector have negative components?

Yes, a unit vector can have negative components. The sign of the components does not affect the magnitude of the vector, which is what determines if it is a unit vector or not.

3. How can I determine the direction of a unit vector?

The direction of a unit vector is determined by the direction of its components. You can use the ratio of the components to determine the direction, or you can convert the vector to polar coordinates and use the angle to determine the direction.

4. Can there be more than one unit vector with the same direction?

Yes, there can be infinitely many unit vectors with the same direction. This is because multiplying a unit vector by any constant will result in another unit vector with the same direction.

5. How is the length of a unit vector related to the length of its components?

The length of a unit vector is always equal to 1, regardless of the length of its components. The length of the components does not affect the magnitude of the vector, which is what determines if it is a unit vector or not.