Finding acceleration and time in force problems

In summary: So the formula is:V2^2 = 2*a*xIn summary, the speed of the redheaded woodpecker's head before impact with a tree is 3.7 m/s and its mass is 0.060 kg. The average force on its head during impact is 6.1 N. Using the formulas F=ma and F=mv^2/2d, we can find the acceleration of the head to be -101.6667 m/s^2 and the depth of penetration into the tree to be 6.7 cm. To find the time it takes for the head to come to a stop, we can use the formula V2^2 = 2*a*x, assuming uniform dec
a18c18

Homework Statement

The speed of the head of a redheaded woodpecker reaches 3.7 m/s before impact with the tree. The mass of the head is 0.060 kg and the average force on the head during impact is 6.1 N.

(a) Find the acceleration of the head (assuming constant acceleration).
km/s2

(b) Find the depth of penetration into the tree.
cm

(c) Find the time it takes for the head to come to a stop.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=mv^2/2d

The Attempt at a Solution

For a I tried to used the formula F=ma and divided the force by the mass to find the acceleration or 6.1/0.060 but this did not work.

I got the answer for b by using F=mv^2/2d and got 6.7cm which was correct.

In order to get the answer for c I think I need the answer for a.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure for answer a that you are using the right units for the answer. km/s^2?

I tried 6.1/.060 and got 101.6667 m/s^2. Then I divided 101.6667 by 1000 since the answer needs to be km/s^2 and got .1016 but neither of these answer were correct.

a18c18 said:

Homework Statement

The speed of the head of a redheaded woodpecker reaches 3.7 m/s before impact with the tree. The mass of the head is 0.060 kg and the average force on the head during impact is 6.1 N.

(a) Find the acceleration of the head (assuming constant acceleration).
km/s2

(b) Find the depth of penetration into the tree.
cm

(c) Find the time it takes for the head to come to a stop.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=mv^2/2d

The Attempt at a Solution

For a I tried to used the formula F=ma and divided the force by the mass to find the acceleration or 6.1/0.060 but this did not work.

I got the answer for b by using F=mv^2/2d and got 6.7cm which was correct.

In order to get the answer for c I think I need the answer for a.

Is that really km/s2?

Also the acceleration is really deceleration to zero. Perhaps you have the wrong sign?

Part b) is found by the V2/(2*a) = x relationship.

Part c) is found from x = 1/2 a*t2

Okay I switched the signs for the acceleration and -.1016 was correct so thank you very much LowlyPion! but I still could not get c to work. Is x in c supposed to be the answer from b? I tried 6.7=.5*-.1016t^2 but got the wrong answer.

Make sure your units match. You are putting km/s^2 in for a, but the putting distance x in cm. Either change a or x to match the other's units.

a18c18 said:
Okay I switched the signs for the acceleration and -.1016 was correct so thank you very much LowlyPion! but I still could not get c to work. Is x in c supposed to be the answer from b? I tried 6.7=.5*-.1016t^2 but got the wrong answer.

Yes the answer from b is the distance. But whoa. wait. You have km/s2 acceleration and cm of distance. Please resolve that.

Also the equation needs to have initial Velocity added to it:
X = V0*t + .5*a*t^2
Am I right?

Lazyshot said:
Also the equation needs to have initial Velocity added to it:
X = V0*t + .5*a*t^2
Am I right?

If it's uniform deceleration forget the initial velocity. Treat it as accelerating from rest. It's the same time over that distance.

1. What is acceleration in force problems?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in force problems. It describes how quickly an object's velocity is changing over time due to the application of a force.

2. How do you find acceleration in force problems?

To find acceleration in force problems, you can use the formula a = F/m, where "a" is acceleration, "F" is the force applied, and "m" is the mass of the object. You will need to know the values for force and mass to plug into the formula.

3. What is the equation for finding time in force problems?

The equation for finding time in force problems is t = √(2d/a), where "t" is time, "d" is the distance traveled, and "a" is the acceleration. This equation is derived from the formula d = 1/2at², where "d" is distance, "a" is acceleration, and "t" is time.

4. How do you solve for time in force problems?

To solve for time in force problems, you can use the equation t = √(2d/a), where "t" is time, "d" is the distance traveled, and "a" is the acceleration. You will need to know the values for distance and acceleration to plug into the formula.

5. What are some real-life examples of force problems?

Some real-life examples of force problems include calculating the acceleration of a car when applying the brakes, determining the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height due to gravity, and finding the acceleration of a rocket during takeoff. These are all situations where a force is acting on an object, and we can use equations to find the acceleration and time involved.