1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding acceleration, velocity, and time for simple harmonic motion

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cheerleader waves her pom-pom in simple harmonic motion with an amplitude of .180m and a frequency of .850Hz.

a) Find the maximum magnitude of the acceleration and of the velocity.

b) Find the acceleration and speed when the pom-pom's coordinate is x=+.090m.

c) Find the time required to move from the equilibrium position directly to a point .120m away.

d) Which of the quantities asked for in parts (a), (b), and (c) can be found using the energy approach (E = K + U = 1/2 mv^2 + mgh = 1/2 kA^2) and which cannot? Explain.

2. Relevant equations

i. x=Asin(ωt)

ii. vx,max=ωA

iii. ax,max=-ω2A

where ω=angular frequency, A=amplitude, x=displacement from equilibrium, t=time

K=1/2 mv^2

U=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to calculate (a) using formulas ii and iii. vmax=.961m/s; amax=5.13m/s^2

I was also able to calculate (c) using formula i. x=7.16s

However, I am unsure of how to find (b).

I think (d) is velocity but I'm not sure if from velocity you'd be able to get x and acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2
    For part b you know ω, A, and x. You should be able to solve for and find t.

I guess one way to solve "b" is by using your equation(i), you can find speed and acceleration by taking the 1st and 2nd derivative wrt t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted