Finding Amplitude-simple harmonic motion

In summary, the homework statement is saying that in a particular location, the shortest day of the year has 6.5 hours of daylight and the longest day of the year has 17.5 hours. It models its motion with the function N=Asin(bt)+C where t is expressed in days and A, B > 0. I found A to be .017214 and B to be .017214. I have no clue how to find the amplitude.. I've tried a million different ways.. submitted the answers.. and it keeps telling me its wrong.. so if anyone can help.. pllleeaassee do.. its due at midnight tonight and I have another problem exactly like this but with two different numbers
Cheer4WVU

Homework Statement

Simple harmonic motion problem.
The number of daylight hours in a day is harmonic. Suppose that in a particular location, the shortest day of the year has 6.5 hours of daylight and the longest day of the year has 17.5 hours. Then, we can model its motion with the function N=Asin(bt)+C where t is expressed in days and A, B > 0. Find A and B, using 365 days for one year

Homework Equations

N=Asin(bt)+C

The Attempt at a Solution

I found B to be .017214
I found C to be 12
I have no clue how to find the amplitude.. I've tried a million different ways.. submitted the answers.. and it keeps telling me its wrong.. so if anyone can help.. pllleeaassee do.. its due at midnight tonight and I have another problem exactly like this but with two different numbers in replace of the 6.5 and 17.5.
How do you find amp??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the minimum is 6.5 and the maximum is 17.5, then what is the difference between these?

That is your peak-to-peak amplitude.

Your amplitude is simply half of this.

I tried 12 and it's still wrong.. For the phase shift I put 12.. and that was right.. I don't know what to do?

Where did you get 12 from?

Have you sketched the graph?

The amplitude is half of the difference between your max and min.

17.5+6.5=24
24/2=12

I'm not very good at this stuff.. so I really don't know how to draw the graph.. i know how a sin wave goes.. but I'm just confused. I don't want you to do it for me.. i just want to know how to find amplitude.. but I'm confused because i understand what you are saying about the amplitude being half the difference between the max and min.. but it keeps telling me when i submit the answer that its wrong.

Cheer4WVU said:
i understand what you are saying about the amplitude being half the difference between the max and min.. but it keeps telling me when i submit the answer that its wrong.

Did you submit 6 hrs ?

yes.. still wrong

I'm sorry, (17.5 - 6.5)/2 = 5.5 Is it still wrong?

yes.. i don't know if there is something wrong with the webwork or what.. i tried doing the same thing you suggested with the other numbers on the other problem i was given to do.. and it didnt work either..

1. What is amplitude in simple harmonic motion?

Amplitude in simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement of an object from its equilibrium position. It represents the distance from the equilibrium position to the furthest point an object reaches during its oscillation.

2. How is amplitude related to energy in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of an object in simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy of the object also increases.

3. How do you find the amplitude of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of an object in simple harmonic motion can be found by measuring the distance from the equilibrium position to the highest or lowest point of the object's oscillation. It can also be calculated using the equation A = xmax - xeq, where A is amplitude, xmax is the maximum displacement, and xeq is the equilibrium position.

4. What factors can affect the amplitude of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of an object in simple harmonic motion is affected by the object's mass, the force acting on the object, and the stiffness of the system. An increase in any of these factors can result in a larger amplitude.

5. Can the amplitude of an object in simple harmonic motion change over time?

Yes, the amplitude of an object in simple harmonic motion can change over time. This can occur due to external forces acting on the object, changes in the object's mass or the stiffness of the system, and other factors. However, in ideal conditions, the amplitude remains constant.