1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an expression for (e.g. sin (3x)) in terms of (e.g. sin x) alone?

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use double-angle and addition formulæ and other relations for trigonometrical functions to find an expression for sin(3x) in terms of sin x alone.

My problem is I don't know what is meant by "find an expression for sin(3x) in terms of sin x alone.". I know the relevant formulae but do not know what is actually wanted of the question. I know I can 'split' it by going sin(2x + x) then using addition formulae... But I don't know why or what is expected as a final answer. An equation involving only sin and no cos?

2. Relevant equations
    Trig identities, addition formulae

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea.

PS. I found the answer online but had no idea why that's the answer - please don't just give me the answer :).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2

danago

Gold Member

Basically, what the question is asking you is to find another way to write sin(3x) using only sin(x). So your final answer cannot have any sin(3x) or sin(2x), but only sin(x).

I think your first idea is a good one:

[tex]sin(3x) = sin(2x + x) = sin(2x)cos(x) + cos(2x)sin(x)[/tex]

However, this still has sin(2x), cos(2x) and cos(x) in it. How can you get rid of all these and be left with just a combination of sin(x)?

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    1. Use your idea about addition formulae. Just apply it once.

2. Then consider any formulas for [itex]\sin(2x)[/itex] and [itex]\cos(2x)[/itex]? In particular, you will want the identity for [itex]\cos(2x)[/itex] that involves only [itex]\sin x[/itex] as there are three identities for [itex]\cos(2x)[/itex]. And don't forget the most basic one: [itex](\sin x)^2 + (\cos x)^2 = 1[/itex].

5. Apr 4, 2010 #4
    Doh! Looks like I type too slowly at this early hour... Danago beat me to the punch!

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5
    Thanks a lot to both of you, I actually understand what is required now.

I'm a bit lost with actually getting the solution, but I really do need to work on my math skills so I'll do that.

Thanks again!

7. Apr 5, 2010 #6

danago

Gold Member

Give it a good shot, and if you get lost in the algebra and trig. identities, feel free to post back here and im sure someone will be able to help out :smile:

All the best,
    Dan.

8. Apr 5, 2010 #7

danago

Gold Member

Give it a good shot, and if you get lost in the algebra and trig. identities, feel free to post back here and im sure someone will be able to help out :smile:

All the best,
    Dan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook