1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an expression for the maximum tension?

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    A toy cart of mass m1 moves on frictionless wheels as it is pulled by a string under tension T. A block of mass m2 rests on top of that cart. The coefficient of static friction between the cart and block is μ. Find an expression for the maximum tension T that will not cause the block to slide on the cart if the cart is rolled up of angle Ɵ above the horizontal. The string is parallel to the surface on which the cart rolls.

The reason I'm so confused is because I've been given a problem to solve without ANY variables, where do I even start???

I drew a free-body diagram but it doesn't really help... And theoretically, what is my answer supposed to even turn out to be, T = 0? T =1? I mean is the question asking me to work out a process where I get one of those answers :S Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Variables that you've been given: m1, m2, T, μ, θ. You can assume that g is there, too; It's generally assumed.

It is fine to provide an answer that is a formula; there need not be a particular numerical answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook