Solve the given differential equation

In summary, the constant may be manipulated and it does not matter where one places the constant in these kind of problems.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
separation of variables
I am on differential equations today...refreshing.

Ok, this is a pretty easier area to me...just wanted to clarify that the constant may be manipulated i.e dependant on approach. Consider,

1691324528542.png

1691324637563.png

Ok I have,

##\dfrac{dy}{6y^2}= x dx##

on integration,

##-\dfrac{1}{6y} + k = \dfrac{x^2}{2}##

##k= \dfrac{x^2}{2} + \dfrac{1}{6y}##

using ##y(1)=0.04## we shall get,

##k=\dfrac{28}{6}##

##\dfrac{28}{6}-\dfrac{x^2}{2}=\dfrac{1}{6y}##

aaargh looks like i will get the same results...cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
So, you don't have a problem, right?
Correct, I do not have a problem.

Where one places the constant doesn't really matter in these kind of problems.

chwala said:
Where one places the constant doesn't really matter in these kind of problems.
It does matter in certain cases.
If I worked the problem like this ...
##\frac {dy}{y^2} = 6x~dx##
##\frac{-1}y = 3x^2## (Omitting the constant for now)
##y = \frac{-1}{3x^2} + C## (Adding the constant now)

The above gives the wrong value for C when you substitute in the initial condition.
I'm not saying that's what you meant. In the second line above, you could write it as ##\frac{-1}y = 3x^2 + C_1## or as ##\frac{-1}y + C_2= 3x^2##.
The constants will be different, but when you solve for y in either equation, the solutions will be the same.
chwala said:
##\dfrac{28}{6}-\dfrac{x^2}{2}=\dfrac{1}{6y}##
You should write the solution in the form y = f(x), as was shown in the solution.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
It does matter in certain cases.
If I worked the problem like this ...
##\frac {dy}{y^2} = 6x~dx##
##\frac{-1}y = 3x^2## (Omitting the constant for now)
##y = \frac{-1}{3x^2} + C## (Adding the constant now)

The above gives the wrong value for C when you substitute in the initial condition.
I'm not saying that's what you meant. In the second line above, you could write it as ##\frac{-1}y = 3x^2 + C_1## or as ##\frac{-1}y + C_2= 3x^2##.
The constants will be different, but when you solve for y in either equation, the solutions will be the same.

You should write the solution in the form y = f(x), as was shown in the solution.
@Mark44 I realized that it would just give the same solution, thus left it hanging.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model real-life phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. By solving these equations, we can understand and predict the behavior of these systems.

What are the different methods for solving differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using special functions such as the exponential and logarithmic functions. The method used depends on the type and complexity of the differential equation.

What are initial conditions and why are they important in solving differential equations?

Initial conditions are the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. They are important because they help us determine the specific solution to a differential equation. Without initial conditions, there can be many possible solutions to a differential equation.

What are some real-life applications of solving differential equations?

Differential equations are used in various fields to model and predict the behavior of systems. Some examples include predicting population growth, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding the spread of diseases. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems.