Solve the given differential equation

In summary, the constant may be manipulated and it does not matter where one places the constant in these kind of problems.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
separation of variables
I am on differential equations today...refreshing.

Ok, this is a pretty easier area to me...just wanted to clarify that the constant may be manipulated i.e dependant on approach. Consider,

1691324528542.png

1691324637563.png

Ok I have,

##\dfrac{dy}{6y^2}= x dx##

on integration,

##-\dfrac{1}{6y} + k = \dfrac{x^2}{2}##

##k= \dfrac{x^2}{2} + \dfrac{1}{6y}##

using ##y(1)=0.04## we shall get,

##k=\dfrac{28}{6}##

##\dfrac{28}{6}-\dfrac{x^2}{2}=\dfrac{1}{6y}##

aaargh looks like i will get the same results...cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
So, you don't have a problem, right?
Correct, I do not have a problem.

Where one places the constant doesn't really matter in these kind of problems.

chwala said:
Where one places the constant doesn't really matter in these kind of problems.
It does matter in certain cases.
If I worked the problem like this ...
##\frac {dy}{y^2} = 6x~dx##
##\frac{-1}y = 3x^2## (Omitting the constant for now)
##y = \frac{-1}{3x^2} + C## (Adding the constant now)

The above gives the wrong value for C when you substitute in the initial condition.
I'm not saying that's what you meant. In the second line above, you could write it as ##\frac{-1}y = 3x^2 + C_1## or as ##\frac{-1}y + C_2= 3x^2##.
The constants will be different, but when you solve for y in either equation, the solutions will be the same.
chwala said:
##\dfrac{28}{6}-\dfrac{x^2}{2}=\dfrac{1}{6y}##
You should write the solution in the form y = f(x), as was shown in the solution.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
It does matter in certain cases.
If I worked the problem like this ...
##\frac {dy}{y^2} = 6x~dx##
##\frac{-1}y = 3x^2## (Omitting the constant for now)
##y = \frac{-1}{3x^2} + C## (Adding the constant now)

The above gives the wrong value for C when you substitute in the initial condition.
I'm not saying that's what you meant. In the second line above, you could write it as ##\frac{-1}y = 3x^2 + C_1## or as ##\frac{-1}y + C_2= 3x^2##.
The constants will be different, but when you solve for y in either equation, the solutions will be the same.

You should write the solution in the form y = f(x), as was shown in the solution.
@Mark44 I realized that it would just give the same solution, thus left it hanging.

Related to Solve the given differential equation

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes how a particular quantity changes over time or space and is fundamental in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you solve a first-order differential equation?

To solve a first-order differential equation, you typically use methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or exact equations. The goal is to find a function that satisfies the equation when substituted back into it.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution to a differential equation includes all possible solutions and typically contains arbitrary constants. A particular solution is a specific instance of the general solution that satisfies initial or boundary conditions.

What are initial conditions and boundary conditions?

Initial conditions specify the value of the function and possibly its derivatives at a particular point, often used for problems involving time. Boundary conditions specify the values of the function or its derivatives at the boundaries of the domain, often used for spatial problems.

What techniques are used to solve second-order differential equations?

Common techniques for solving second-order differential equations include the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and using characteristic equations for linear equations with constant coefficients. The choice of method depends on the form of the differential equation.