Finding angle and altitude using distance and time?

In summary, the person is looking for an equation to use for their physics project but is unsure which one to use. They have been given distance and time variables but not the angle or altitude. They suggest using gravity as 9.8, but are not sure what the equation would be. They are directed to kinematic equations and asked for more specific information on the problem they are trying to solve. The suggested equations to use are d= v_0sin(\theta) t and 0= (-g/2)t^2+ v_0 cos(\theta)t, which can be solved for v_0 and \theta.
353535amelia

Homework Statement

I need an equation for a physics project, and I'm not sure which to use. I am given the distance and time variables, however I don't have the angle or altitude they are looking for. Which equation do I need to use?

Homework Equations

Velocity related equations? fab five physics equations probably, I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that I need to use gravity as 9.8, but don't know what the equation would be?? Thanks to those who help :P :P :P

Physics news on Phys.org
353535amelia said:

Homework Statement

I need an equation for a physics project, and I'm not sure which to use. I am given the distance and time variables, however I don't have the angle or altitude they are looking for. Which equation do I need to use?
That's not very clear! What "distance and time" do you mean? The distance and time at which the projective again returns to earth?
Then the equations you use are [itex]d= v_0sin(\theta) t[/itex] and [itex]0= (-g/2)t^2+ v_0 cos(\theta)t[/itex]. That gives you two equations to solve for [itex]v_0[/itex] amd [itex]\theta[/itex].

1. How can I find the angle and altitude using distance and time?

To find the angle and altitude, you will need to use the formula: angle = arctan(altitude / distance). This formula uses the tangent inverse function to calculate the angle.

2. What units should I use for distance and time?

Distance should be measured in meters, and time should be measured in seconds. It is important to use consistent units in order to get an accurate result.

3. Can I use this method to find the angle and altitude of any object?

Yes, this method can be used for any object as long as you have the distance and time measurements. However, it may not be as accurate for very distant objects due to potential errors in measurement.

4. Is there a specific point I need to measure from to find the angle and altitude?

No, you can measure the distance from any point to the object and the time it takes for the object to reach that point. The angle and altitude will be calculated based on this information.

5. Can I use this method for objects in motion?

Yes, this method can be used for objects in motion as long as you have the distance and time measurements at a specific point. However, it may be more challenging to measure accurately for fast-moving objects.