Find Altitude & Angles for Physics Rocket Lab HW

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the altitude and angles of a rocket that was shot straight up. The measurements of time and distance were given, along with the equations for determining velocity and wind velocity. The attempt at finding the altitude using the equation 1/2g(time/2)^2 was mentioned, but the teacher deemed it incorrect. The issue of launch angle and wind variation was brought up, making it difficult to find one set of answers. Two options were proposed: assuming the rockets were launched vertically and estimating the wind speed, or assuming no wind and determining the launch angle.
353535amelia

Homework Statement

I have the time and distance measurements. We shot it straight up, how can I find the altitude and angles? Times: (6.58 sec, 23 m), (6.90 sec, .6 m) (6.20 sec, 10 m). The time represents how long it takes for the rocket to shoot up and fall, the distance is the measurement from where it shot up to where it landed. We also had to determine the velocity and the wind velocity so I already have that. (v=v0+at; v=vi+2at) Idk the exact equation for the altitude and angles?

Homework Equations

Altitude? Angles?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get the altitude to be about 53 I used the equation 1/2g(time/2)^2 so for example 1/2*(9.8)*(6.58/2)^2 or 1/2*(9.8)*(3.29^2)=53.03809, but the teacher said it was wrong... :( The angles I have no clue.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You list several times and distances but don't say what they represent.

haruspex said:
You list several times and distances but don't say what they represent.
Sorry. I edited it some.

You said you shot the rockets straight up. If so, the horizontal displacement should be only due to wind (and the launch angle to the vertical is always zero), but I would have thought it was rather tricky to be sure you were launching straight up.
Since the launch angle will surely vary some, and the wind will vary, and the fuel content etc. of the rockets will vary, it is not going to be possible to combine the results to come up with one set of answers. Moreover, you cannot separate launch angle from wind on anyone test, so I would say you have been given an unreasonable task.

One option is to assume the rockets were launched vertically, and that the variation in horizontal displacement and time aloft are due to wind and rocket fuelling. That will allow you to find the height reached, separately for each test. Since the horizontal displacement is assumed to be entirely due to wind, you may be able to estimate the wind speed too, but you to do that you might have to make some assumption about the drag coefficient ( it won't instantly start moving sideways at the wind speed).

Another option is the other extreme - assume there is no wind and that the variation in horizontal displacement is entirely due to launch angle. That should allow you to determine (separately for each test) the height reached and launch angle.

What is the purpose of finding altitude and angles in a physics rocket lab?

The purpose of finding altitude and angles in a physics rocket lab is to understand the trajectory and performance of a rocket. By calculating the altitude and angles, scientists can determine the maximum height reached by the rocket, the angle of ascent, and the angle of descent, which can all provide valuable information for analyzing the rocket's flight and making improvements for future launches.

What is the process for finding altitude and angles in a physics rocket lab?

The process for finding altitude and angles in a physics rocket lab involves using mathematical equations and data collected during the rocket's flight. First, the initial velocity and angle of launch are measured. Then, data is collected during the flight, such as time, distance, and velocity. Using this data, scientists can use equations such as the kinematic equations and the trigonometric functions to calculate the altitude and angles of the rocket at different points during its flight.

Why is it important to accurately measure altitude and angles in a physics rocket lab?

Accurately measuring altitude and angles in a physics rocket lab is important because it allows scientists to make accurate predictions and calculations about the rocket's performance. This information can be used to improve the design and functioning of the rocket for future launches. Additionally, precise measurements can also help identify any potential issues or errors in the flight of the rocket.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of altitude and angle measurements in a physics rocket lab?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of altitude and angle measurements in a physics rocket lab include environmental conditions, such as wind and air resistance, which can impact the flight of the rocket. Human error, such as imprecise data collection or calculation mistakes, can also affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, technical issues with equipment or instruments used to collect data can also impact the accuracy of the measurements.

How can finding altitude and angles in a physics rocket lab contribute to advancements in rocket technology?

By accurately finding altitude and angles in a physics rocket lab, scientists can gather data and insights that can contribute to advancements in rocket technology. This information can be used to improve the design and performance of rockets, making them more efficient, reliable, and safe for future missions. Additionally, understanding the physics behind rocket flight can also lead to developments in other areas of science and technology, such as aerospace engineering and space exploration.