1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding angles between vectors

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two related questions related because they both ask to find angles between vectors.

The first one says to determine the angles between the sides of a parallelogram determined by the vectors OA = (3,2,-6) and OB = (-6,6,-2).

The second one asks to determine the angle between OP and AE, where OP = (3,4,5) and AE = (-3,4,5).

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first one, I tried to use the cosine law, but got 1.5 degrees instead of 84.4 degrees.
    These are my steps.

magnitude of OA = [tex]\sqrt{}(32 + 22 + -62) [/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{}49[/tex] = 7

magnitude of OB = [tex]\sqrt{}](-62 + 62 + -22) [/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{}76[/tex]

vector AB = (-9,4,4)

magnitude of AB = [tex]\sqrt{}(-92 + 42 + 42)[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{}113[/tex]

[tex]\Theta[/tex] = cos-1 ((72 + [tex]\sqrt{}76[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{}113[/tex]) / (2*7*[tex]\sqrt{}76[/tex])) = approximately 1.5 degrees

I'm confused as to what to do here.

The next question has me confused as well, as I seem to be missing something key.

Please help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Don't put [ sup] or [ sub] tags inside [ tex] tags. The reason should be obvious.
    Your mixed tex and sup stuff is too hard to read, so I won't try to pick out the exact problem. Using the Law of Cosines (there's an easier way if you know about the dot product) and simplifying things a bit, you should get cos(theta) = 6/(7sqrt(76)). From this I get theta ~ 84.4 degrees. Make sure your calculator is in degree mode.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    thanks. It was in radian mode. whoops. But what about my second related question? Can I do the same thing? And I do know about dot product, but I'm supposed to do the question without it.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sure, the 2nd problem is almost exactly the same. The two sides adjacent to your angle are OP and AE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook