Finding Angles in a Double slit experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bright fringes and how to calculate them using the formula ##d\sin \theta =m\lambda##. The question asks for the wavelength to input in the formula, and it is suggested to do separate calculations for two different wavelengths. It is also mentioned that for bright fringes, the value of m can be 0, 1, 2, etc. and the angles are not specified. The conversation ends with the suggestion to give values for m = 0, 1, 2 for each wavelength.
jisbon
Homework Statement
A point light source is used in a double-slit experiment. The light source contains 2 wavelengths (500nm and 600nm). Separation of the 2 silts is d=1mm. 2 sets of interference fringes are formed on the screen. Find the angles where the bright fringes are formed for both of the wavelengths.
Relevant Equations
##d\sin \theta =m\lambda##
1579006899965.png

Hello all!

Having some problems understanding this question.
From what I know, bright fringes means that there will be constructive interferences, whereby ##d\sin \theta =m\lambda##
In this case, I know the d (separation of silts). However, what should I put in for wavelength? I went through some examples online and they all showed sources projecting the same wavelength. In cases of different wavelength like the one above, how should I proceed? Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Do two separate calculations, one for 500 nm and one for 600 nm. There will be two sets of fringes.

mjc123 said:
Do two separate calculations, one for 500 nm and one for 600 nm. There will be two sets of fringes.
Thanks for the fast reply. What should I input for m? I understand that for bright fringes, m can be = 0,1,2,3.. etc. So in this case, how do I determine the value of m? Cheers

It asks for angles (plural) but doesn't say how many. I would give values for m = 0, 1, 2 for each wavelength.

Likes jisbon
Oh okay, thanks for the help :smile:

1. What is a double slit experiment?

A double slit experiment is a physics experiment that involves passing light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen or detector. This experiment is often used to demonstrate the wave-like properties of light.

2. How do you find the angles in a double slit experiment?

The angles in a double slit experiment can be found using the equation θ = λ/d, where θ is the angle of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of the light, and d is the distance between the slits. This equation is based on the principles of wave interference and can be used to calculate the angles at which the interference pattern will appear on the screen or detector.

3. What factors can affect the angles in a double slit experiment?

The angles in a double slit experiment can be affected by the wavelength of the light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen or detector. Additionally, any obstructions or imperfections in the slits or the light source can also affect the angles.

4. How does the interference pattern change when the angles are adjusted in a double slit experiment?

Adjusting the angles in a double slit experiment can change the interference pattern in several ways. Increasing the angle of diffraction will result in a wider interference pattern, while decreasing the angle will result in a narrower pattern. Additionally, changing the angle of one of the slits can cause the interference pattern to shift or even disappear.

5. What is the significance of finding angles in a double slit experiment?

Finding angles in a double slit experiment is significant because it allows us to understand and study the wave properties of light. This experiment has played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental nature of light. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.