Finding Angular Speed of Hoop Using Energy Methods

In summary, the problem involves a thin hoop being displaced and released from its equilibrium position. Using the equation U = M*g*y(center of mass), the angular speed when it returns to its equilibrium position can be calculated. However, the moment of inertia needs to be corrected using the parallel axis theorem to account for the hoop's axis of rotation not being through its center of mass.
student34

Homework Statement

You hang a thin hoop using radius R over a nail at the rim of a the hoop. You displace it to the side (within the plane of the hoop) through angle β from its equilibrium position and let it go. Using U = M*g*y(center of mass), what is the angular speed when it returns to its equilibrium position

Homework Equations

ycm = R - R*cosβ

K = U → 0.5*I*ω^2 = M*g*y(center of mass), where I = MR^2 for thin walled and hollow cylinders.

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5*I*ω^2 = M*g*ycm

0.5*M*R^2*ω^2 = M*g*(R - R*cosβ)

ω = √((2*g*(1 - cosβ))/R)

But my book, which seems to never be wrong, has everything but the 2,
ω = √((g*(1 - cosβ))/R)

I just can't see how I could be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point, measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of rotational motion, while linear speed is a measure of straight-line motion. Angular speed is measured in radians per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.

3. How do energy methods help in finding the angular speed of a hoop?

Energy methods use the principle of conservation of energy to calculate the angular speed of a hoop. By equating the initial potential energy of the hoop to its final kinetic energy, the angular speed can be determined.

4. What are the inputs required to find the angular speed using energy methods?

The inputs required are the mass and radius of the hoop, the initial height at which the hoop is released, and the gravitational acceleration on the object.

5. Can energy methods be used to find the angular speed of any rotating object?

Yes, energy methods can be applied to any rotating object, as long as the principle of conservation of energy holds true. However, the calculations may vary depending on the shape and size of the object.