1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding angular velocity based on x vs t graph

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given the attached graph (excuse my abysmal homemade graph!). On the y-axis, I presume that it is displacement (x). The x-axis is time. This graph looks like SHM, but I could be wrong! The graph rises from 0 to 2 every 2 seconds, and drops back to 0 on the y-axis for 2 seconds before repeating the cycle. The problem asks to find angular velocity based on the graph. I am given the choices of 2.0 rad/s, 0.5 rad/s, 1 rad/sec, or none of above.

2. Relevant equations

This graph looks like SHM, but I could be wrong!

3. The attempt at a solution

I really have no clue how to derive angular velocity based on this graph. I am guessing you have to find tangential velocity from the graph and from there determine angular velocity using the formula v(tangential) = ω r. Am I on the right track? Again, please excuse the poor graph. :)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2
    That graph can't be a x(t) plot because of the verticle segments. This says that somhow a particle covered some distance x in zero time. Also the velocity is undefined at those points. If you were just looking at it on a cycle or periodic basis then you would say it completes 1 cycle in 4s. And in one cycle there are 6.28rads. So you would get 1.57rad/s which would be none of the above.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook