Finding Area between 3 functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area bounded by three equations: $y=\sqrt{x}$, $y=x/2$, and $x=9$. The smaller function between 4 and 9 is $y=\sqrt{x}$, and the integral is set up as $\int_{4}^{9}\frac{x}{2} - \sqrt{x} \,dx$. However, the answer of $\frac{43}{12}$ is incorrect because it does not account for the area between $x=0$ and $x=4$. After making a sketch of the graphs, it is determined that the correct answer is $\frac{59}{12}$.
tmt1
I need to find the area bounded by:

$y = \sqrt{x}$, $y = x/2$, and $x = 9$.

I found that the intersecting point is 4 and $y = \sqrt{x}$ is the smaller function between 4 and 9 so:

$$\int_{4}^{9}\frac{x}{2} - \sqrt{x} \,dx$$

and I get

$$ \left[ \frac{x^2}{4} - \frac{2x^{3/2}}{3}\right]_4^9
$$

$$[\frac{81}{4 } - \frac{54}{3}] - [\frac{16}{4} - \frac{16}{3}]$$

and eventually

$\frac{43}{12}$ which is not the answer. The answer is $\frac{59}{12}$

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again,

It seems to me that you forgot one part. Make a sketch of the graphs and look at the areas. There's not only an area between $x=4$ and $x=9$ but also between $x=0$ and $x=4$.

Siron said:
Hi again,

It seems to me that you forgot one part. Make a sketch of the graphs and look at the areas. There's not only an area between $x=4$ and $x=9$ but also between $x=0$ and $x=4$.

Thanks that got it

1. What is the formula for finding the area between three functions?

The formula for finding the area between three functions is to first determine the intersection points of the three functions. Then, you can use the formula A = ∫(f(x) - g(x)) dx + ∫(g(x) - h(x)) dx + ∫(h(x) - f(x)) dx, where f(x), g(x), and h(x) are the three functions and A is the total area between them.

2. How do you determine the intersection points of three functions?

To determine the intersection points of three functions, you can set each pair of functions equal to each other and solve for x. The points where all three functions intersect will be the intersection points.

3. Can the area between three functions be negative?

Yes, the area between three functions can be negative. This can occur if one of the functions is above the other two and the area between them is negative. It is important to pay attention to the orientation of the functions when calculating the area.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the area between three functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the area between three functions. One is when one function is completely above or below the other two, in which case the area between them will be zero. Another case is when there are multiple intersection points, in which case you will need to split the integral into smaller segments.

5. Can the area between three functions be infinite?

No, the area between three functions cannot be infinite. The area between three functions is always a finite value, as long as the functions are defined and continuous within the given interval. However, the area may approach infinity if one of the functions has a vertical asymptote within the given interval.