1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding basis for kernal of linear map

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A = 1 3 2 2
    1 1 0 -2
    0 1 1 2

Viewing A as a linear map from M_(4x1) to M_(3x1) find a basis for the kernal of A and verify directly that these basis vectors are indeed linearly independant.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so first i found the reduced row echelon form of A. This equals:

rref(A) =

1 0 -1 -4
    0 1 1 2
    0 0 0 0

So i found the kernal of this by-

1 0 -1 -4
    0 1 1 2
    0 0 0 0

Multiplied by

x_1
    x_2
    x_3
    x_4

Equals

x_1 = x_3 + x_4
    x_2 = -x_3-2x_4
    x_3 = x_3
    x_4 = x_4

Therefore kernal...

=x_3 {1, -1, 1, 0} + x_4 {1, -2, 0, 1}

So i thought this meant the basis equalled

Basis of kernal = (1,-1,1,0),(1,-2,0,1)

I have idea what to do now though. I have no idea if what i have done is vaguely right and am not sure if it is how to fulfill the rest of the question. The problem is i have not really incoperated the fact that in the question it states that Viewing A as a linear map from M_(4x1) to M_(3x1). I do not understand this terminology, what does it mean exactly?

(ps - i appologise for the bad formatting)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PhyStan7! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Nooo :redface:4x4 :wink:
    I assume M4x1 is the 4x1 matrices or column vectors.

So A is a function from the 4-column vectors to the 3-column vectors.

Any (constant) matrix is linear, so it's a linear function (linear map).

Only functions (maps) have kernels, so you have to view the matrix as a map to talk about a kernel. :smile:

4. May 22, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You want to solve

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 2 & 2 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 & -2 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}w \\ x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Which is the same as the three equations w+ 3x+ 2y+ 2z= 0, w+ x- 2z= 0, x +y+ z= 0.

Adding the first two equations eliminates z: 2w+ 4x+ 2y= 0. Multiplying the third equation by 2 and adding to the second equation also eliminates z: w+ 3x+ 2y= 0.

Subtracting the second of those from the first eliminaes y: w+ x= 0 so x= -w.

Putting that back into the previous equations will allow you to write each of x, y, and z in terms of w. The kernel is one-dimensional, not two-dimensional.

A "linear map" is a "linear" function from one vector space to another. If f is a linear map then f(au+ bv)= af(u)+ bf(v) fpr any vectors u and v in the domain, any scalars a and b.

You can think of an "m by n" matrix as a linear map from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex]. Conversely, any linear map from from m-dimensional U to n dimensional V can be written as an m by n matrix for specific bases for U and V.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook