Finding center of a group with one element of order 2

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that an element c with a property of c^2 = 1 is the center of a group if it is the only element with order 2. The group also has an element b with the property that b^2 = 1 implies b = c or b = 1. The conversation suggests taking the square of aca^-1 and manipulating the equations to show that c is the center of the group. Some steps and assumptions may need to be included in the proof for clarity and completeness.
Sprooth
I need to prove that if a group contains exactly one element with order 2, then that element is the center of the group.

Here is how I formulated the problem:
Let A be a group with an element c such that c^2 = 1 (i.e. c = c^-1), and b^2 = 1 implies b=c.

Want either:
ac = ca, for all a in A
ca(c^-1) = a, for all a in A.

After doing this, I tried manipulating the symbols for a while using different identities and properties that I know, but I can't seem to come up with any equations where one side doesn't reduce to the other trivially. I have a feeling that there is one small but crucial thing I am missing. Abelian groups have crossed my mind a few times, but I don't know how to use that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
b^2=1 actually implies b=c OR b=1.

So the information we have is:
b^2=1 iff b=c or b=1.

And we're trying to show:
ac = ca for all a in A.

So we need to somehow convert our problem into one where we can use ALL the information we have. So can you convert what we are trying to show into b^2=1 (keeping in mind c^2=1) for some b?

Try taking the square of aca^{-1}.

fantispug: Thanks for pointing out that b^2 = 1 implies either b = 1 or b = c. I hadn't thought of that. Taking that into consideration, I played around with the equations some more, but there was something that confused me a little bit. When considering b with b^2 = 1, when b is 1 or c must be treated as separate cases, right?

jambaugh: I think your hint may have given me the connection I needed, although it still feels like I'm not doing everything correctly.

So is this in the right direction of the proof?
1 = b^2
aa^{-1} = b^2
acca^{-1} = b^2
aca^{-1} * aca^{-1} = b^2
(aca^{-1})^2 = b^2 = c^2
(aca^{-1})^2 = c^2
aca^{-1} = c // I'm not sure about the step leading to this. Can you take roots like that?
ac = ca
So c is the center of the group.

Could someone please tell me if I skipped any steps or made any incorrect steps or if I am just not getting it? I'm just starting algebra this semester, and I think it's interesting, but I'm having a hard time getting into the right mindset so far.

Thanks for the help.

I think you have all the steps but you should work on the sequence of inferences. You should include some text especially when invoking the assumptions. I'm thinking something like:

"Observe that __=__."
"Thus by our assumption ___ either ___ or ___ ."
"If (case 1) then ...
"If (case 2) then ...
"Thus it is shown that _____"

1. What is the definition of "center" in group theory?

The center of a group is the set of elements that commute with all other elements in the group. In other words, for any element a in the center, a*b = b*a for all elements b in the group.

2. How do you find the center of a group?

To find the center of a group, you need to determine which elements commute with all other elements. This can be done by testing each element in the group with all other elements, or by using certain properties of the group. For example, in a cyclic group, the center is simply the identity element.

3. What does it mean for an element to have order 2?

In group theory, the order of an element refers to the number of times that element can be multiplied by itself before reaching the identity element. An element of order 2 means that when multiplied by itself, it results in the identity element.

4. How does an element of order 2 affect the center of a group?

If there is an element of order 2 in a group, it will always be in the center since it commutes with all other elements. However, the presence of this element does not necessarily determine the entire center of the group.

5. Can the center of a group with an element of order 2 contain more than one element?

Yes, the center of a group with an element of order 2 can contain more than one element. This will depend on the properties of the group and the other elements that commute with the element of order 2.