1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding center of a group with one element of order 2

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    I need to prove that if a group contains exactly one element with order 2, then that element is the center of the group.

Here is how I formulated the problem:
    Let A be a group with an element c such that c^2 = 1 (i.e. c = c^-1), and b^2 = 1 implies b=c.

Want either:
    ac = ca, for all a in A
    ca(c^-1) = a, for all a in A.

After doing this, I tried manipulating the symbols for a while using different identities and properties that I know, but I can't seem to come up with any equations where one side doesn't reduce to the other trivially. I have a feeling that there is one small but crucial thing I am missing. Abelian groups have crossed my mind a few times, but I don't know how to use that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2
    b^2=1 actually implies b=c OR b=1.

So the information we have is:
    b^2=1 iff b=c or b=1.

And we're trying to show:
    ac = ca for all a in A.

So we need to somehow convert our problem into one where we can use ALL the information we have. So can you convert what we are trying to show into b^2=1 (keeping in mind c^2=1) for some b?

4. Sep 1, 2009 #3

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try taking the square of aca^{-1}.

5. Sep 1, 2009 #4
    fantispug: Thanks for pointing out that b^2 = 1 implies either b = 1 or b = c. I hadn't thought of that. Taking that into consideration, I played around with the equations some more, but there was something that confused me a little bit. When considering b with b^2 = 1, when b is 1 or c must be treated as separate cases, right?

jambaugh: I think your hint may have given me the connection I needed, although it still feels like I'm not doing everything correctly.

So is this in the right direction of the proof?
    1 = b^2
    aa^{-1} = b^2
    acca^{-1} = b^2
    aca^{-1} * aca^{-1} = b^2
    (aca^{-1})^2 = b^2 = c^2
    (aca^{-1})^2 = c^2
    aca^{-1} = c // I'm not sure about the step leading to this. Can you take roots like that?
    ac = ca
    So c is the center of the group.

Could someone please tell me if I skipped any steps or made any incorrect steps or if I am just not getting it? I'm just starting algebra this semester, and I think it's interesting, but I'm having a hard time getting into the right mindset so far.

Thanks for the help.

6. Sep 1, 2009 #5

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you have all the steps but you should work on the sequence of inferences. You should include some text especially when invoking the assumptions. I'm thinking something like:

"Observe that __=__."
    "Thus by our assumption ___ either ___ or ___ ."
    "If (case 1) then ....
    "If (case 2) then ....
    "Thus it is shown that _____"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook