1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a group has exactly one idempotent element

1. Feb 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that a group has exactly one idempotent element.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So we need to show that the identity element is the unique idempotent element in a group.

First, we know that by definition of a group there is at least one element, e, such that ##e * e = e##.

Second, we need to show that there is at most one idempotent element. We do this by showing that if ##x*x=x## and ##y*y=y## then ##x=y##... This is as far as I get. Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What does it mean for ##x\cdot x = x^2=x\,##? Any idea to get rid of one ##x\,##?

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3
    I can use the cancellation law. But how does that logically show that e is the unique element in the group that is idempotent?

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If ##x## is any idempotent element, i.e. ##x^2=x## then you can multiply (as in school on both sides) the whole equation with ##x^{-1}##, which is probably what you meant by cancellation. You can do this, because all elements of a group have an inverse. Then - if you want to be very rigorous and pedantic - you can apply associativity and the existence and definition of ##e##. Write it down and see what it says.

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know more than that about e. You know x*e=x. Use that. The fact that e*e = e should tell you that you need to prove that x=e.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted