1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding closest point from a parabola to a plane

1. Dec 6, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Find the point in the parabola ##y^2=x##, ##z=0## closest to the plane ##z=x+2y+8##

The attempt at a solution.

I've solved some problems where I had to find the closest point from a given surface to another point on the space. In this case, I have to find the distance between a curve and a plane so to speak. Maybe I could use Lagrange multipliers, but I am not so sure how to apply it in this particular problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You can use Lagrange multipliers but the tricky part is finding the function which should be minimized.That can be done by recalling the definition of the distance of a point to a plane. That's just the length of the line from the point normal to the plane.The normal vector of your plane is [itex] \hat{n}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(1,2,-1) [/itex]. Now consider a point [itex] P(x,y,z) [/itex] in space.But I want P to be on the parabola you mentioned so it becomes [itex] P(y^2,y,0) [/itex].I make a line with P and [itex] -\hat{n} [/itex].[itex] L:(y^2-tn_x,y-tn_y,-tn_z) [/itex] t being a parameter.Now lets see in what t,my line intersects your pane!
    [itex]
    -tn_z=y^2-tn_x+2(y-tn_y)+8 \Rightarrow (n_x+2n_y-n_z)t=y^2+2y+8 \Rightarrow t=\frac{y(y+2)+8}{n_x+2n_y-n_z}=t_p [/itex]
    Now we can find the distance of a point on your parabola to your plane by [itex] d=\sqrt{(y^2-t_p n_x-y^2)^2+(y-t_p n_y-y)^2+(-t_pn_z)^2}=t_p \sqrt{n_x^2+n_y^2+n_z^2} [/itex] But [itex] \hat{n} [/itex] is a unit vector so [itex] d=t_p [/itex].The function you should minimize,is [itex] t_p [/itex].
    But wait...We now have a function of one variable with no constraints...so you can just differentiate with respect to [itex] y [/itex] and set it equal to zero and that gives you the answer.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  4. Dec 6, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another way to do it is to use the geometric fact that the "shortest distance" to a plane is always along a line perpendicular to the plane. We can write this plane as x+ 2y- z= -8 so it has <1, 2, -1> as perpendicular vector. A line through [itex](x_0, y_0, 0)[/itex] in the direction of that vector is [itex]x= x_0+ t[/itex], [itex]y= y_0+ 2t[/itex], [itex]z= -t[/itex]. Further we have [itex]y_0= x_0^2[/itex] so we can write that line as [itex]x= x_0+ t[/itex], [itex]y= x_0^2+ 2t[/itex], [itex]z= -t[/itex].

That line will cross the plane when [itex]x_0+ 2(x_0^2+ 2t)- (-t)= 5t+ x_0+ 2x_0^2= -8[/itex]. You can solve that for t in terms of [itex]x_0[/itex], so determine the point in terms of [itex]x_0[/itex]. Then minimize the distance (more easily, the distance squared) to find [itex]x_0[/itex].

5. Dec 6, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Besides what others have said, you can (as you wanted) use the Lagrange multiplier method: minimize the squared distance from (t^2,t,0) to (x,y,z), subject to x+2y-z+8=0. The variables are t,x,y,z. This works out very nicely.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted