Finding Cluster Points of a Subset of R

  • Thread starter Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Points
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 11K views
e(ho0n3
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Find all the cluster points of the subset of R given by {1/n + 1/m : n, m are positive integers}.


Relevant equations
Let S be a subset of a metric space E. Then p in E is a cluster point of S if any open ball with center p contains infinitely many points of S.


The attempt at a solution
Let S = {1/n + 1/m : n, m are positive integers}. Since 0 ≤ 1/n + 1/m ≤ 2, S is a subset of [0,2]. If p is a cluster point of S, it must be contained in [0,2]. I'm pretty sure that [0,2] is the set of all cluster points of S, but I'm having a hard time proving this. In particular, I'm having a hard time finding points of the form 1/n + 1/m around p contained in [0,2]:

Suppose p is in [0,2]. Pick any open ball around p, say (p - r, p + r). If p < 2, how would I find a point of the form 1/n + 1/m greater than p but less than min{p+r, 2}?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't. Consider this, if e>0 then (e,2] contains only finitely many points of S. Doesn't it?
 
I pondered about the possibility of not being able to find such a point. Does that mean that the cluster points of S are all in S?
 
I don't think S has very many cluster points. And I don't think 'they' are in S.
 
I think the cluster points of S are those of the form 1/n, where n is a positive integer. What do you think?
 
Actually, I think you are right. But you are missing a cluster point that isn't in S.
 
Last edited:
e(ho0n3 said:
Are you talking about 0?

None other.
 
I'm stuck trying to prove there are no other cluster points: Suppose p in [0,2], where p is nonzero and not of the form 1/n. Suppose p < 1. Then we can find integers m, n such that 1/m + 1/n < p < 1/m + 1/(n-1). I'm unable to show that there are no points in S between 1/m + 1/n and 1/m + 1/(n-1). How would I do this? And is this the right approach?
 
It's not hard. The proof is just a little slippery to phrase clearly. If p>0 is a cluster point then there are integer sequences ai and bi such that 1/ai+1/bi=pi->p. Let's also assume that all of pi are distinct. Let Mi=max(ai,bi) and mi=min(ai,bi). So 1/Mi+1/mi=pi->p and Mi>mi. Can Mi be bounded? Why not? Can mi be unbounded? Why not?
 
Last edited:
If Mi and mi are both unbounded, then 1/Mi + 1/mi -> 0 ≠ p right? Hence, one of them must be bounded. You indirectly stated that Mi is unbounded and mi is bounded. I can't think of a reason why. But the conclusion will be that p = 1/n for some n right?
 
If mi<=Mi<=N then there are only a finite different number of pi values. I used that p is a cluster point to make sure the sequence has an infinite number. The conclusion will be p=1/n, correct. But you aren't quite there yet. Now what would happen if mi were unbounded?
 
Last edited:
e(ho0n3 said:
If Mi and mi are both unbounded, then 1/Mi + 1/mi -> 0 ≠ p right? Hence, one of them must be bounded. You indirectly stated that Mi is unbounded and mi is bounded. I can't think of a reason why. But the conclusion will be that p = 1/n for some n right?

Sort of right. If Mi=(1,2,1,3,1,4,...) and mi=(2,1,3,1,4,1,...) the limit is 1 but both are unbounded. That's what I meant by the proof being slippery and that's why I did the max, min thing.
 
If Mi is bounded, then Mi <= N for some N and since mi <= Mi, mi must also be bounded. But as you stated, there will only be a finitely many pi values and hence p will turn out to be one of these pi. Right?
 
No. We picked the sequence so that all of the pi were distinct so there are an infinite number. Hence Mi is NOT bounded. Pick a subsequence where Mi is increasing. Now you've already given the correct reason why mi is bounded (otherwise the limit is zero). That means 1/Mi->0 and 1/mi has only a finite collection of values. Since the sequence converges it must settle down to one of them. That's your 1/n.