Finding coordinates of a point on an out of phase wave

In summary, the student is asking for the coordinate of a point that is 360 degrees out of phase with the point at the origin.
tron_2.0
Hello:

Whats up guys? I haven't posted here in a little while, and after a long summer I've become a bit rusty on my physics so I am going to need a little help from you guys if possible.

Homework Statement

Consider the sin wave of example 13.2 (see below for more info) with the wave function:

y=(15.0cm)cos(0.157x-50.3t)

At a certain instant, let point A be at the origin and point B be the first point along the x-axis where the wave is 60.0 degrees out of phase with point A. What is the coordinate of point B?

In example 13.2 the wave is characterized by:
Amplitude=15.0cm
Wavelength=40.0cm
Frequency=8.00Hz

Homework Equations

k=2pi/lamda
T=1/F
omega=2pi*f
v=f*lamda

The Attempt at a Solution

problem8.jpg

i really think I am overthinking this problem, if the wave is pi/3 radians out of phase, wouldn't that be our phase constant? and from there, how would i turn a function of y(x,t) into y(x) by holding t constant? like how would the equation I've written be changed so i can find the proper coordinate?

Physics news on Phys.org
helpppp! haha

up up up up up please i need help asap =[

Hi tron_2.0,

If the problem had asked for the point that was 360 degrees out of phase with the point at the origin, what would the x-coordinate of that point be? What about the point that is 180 degrees out of phase? Does that help?

alphysicist said:
Hi tron_2.0,

If the problem had asked for the point that was 360 degrees out of phase with the point at the origin, what would the x-coordinate of that point be? What about the point that is 180 degrees out of phase? Does that help?

in that case wouldn't out conrtolled variable (x) be 2pi for 360 degrees and pi for 180 degrees? and after that couldn't we plug pi or 2pi into the equation for y(x) i gave above? i was thinking that but i don't know if that's right. and if that is true, what happens to t?

tron_2.0 said:
in that case wouldn't out conrtolled variable (x) be 2pi for 360 degrees and pi for 180 degrees? and after that couldn't we plug pi or 2pi into the equation for y(x) i gave above? i was thinking that but i don't know if that's right. and if that is true, what happens to t?

I was thinking of a more straightforward answer, based just on what you know about this wave. Compared to the wave at the origin, x=0m, what x value in meters is 360 degrees (or 2pi radians) apart in phase?

Based on how that works, you should be able to find the x coordinate of the point you are looking for with a simple ratio.

(You don't have to worry about the time, since at the beginning of the problem they say find everything "At a certain instant". Just set t to a specific value, and setting it to t=0 is easiest.)

1. How do you find the coordinates of a point on an out of phase wave?

To find the coordinates of a point on an out of phase wave, you will need to know the wavelength, amplitude, and phase shift of the wave. These values can be used in mathematical equations to determine the x and y coordinates of the point.

2. What is an out of phase wave?

An out of phase wave refers to a wave that is not in sync with another wave. This means that the peaks and troughs of the two waves do not align, causing the waves to have different amplitudes and phases.

3. How do you calculate the wavelength of an out of phase wave?

To calculate the wavelength of an out of phase wave, you will need to measure the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave. This distance represents one full wavelength of the wave.

4. Can the coordinates of a point on an out of phase wave change?

Yes, the coordinates of a point on an out of phase wave can change depending on the wavelength, amplitude, and phase shift of the wave. These values can be adjusted to change the position of the point on the wave.

5. How are out of phase waves used in science?

Out of phase waves are used in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to study the behavior of different types of waves. They can also be used in applications like signal processing and telecommunications to transmit and receive information.