1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Cosine of an Angle in 3D space

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Find the cosine of the angles that the line r = [-3,2,5] + t [2,2,√2 ] makes with the coordinate axes.

b) If a,b and c are the angles that the line makes with the x,y and z axis respectively, find the value of cos^2a + cos^2b + cos^2c.

c) What is the magnitude of the vector [cosa,cosb,cosc]

d) What can you say about the direction of the vector [cosa,cosb,cosc] and the direction of the vector line?

2. Relevant equations

I believe we have to use CosTheta = r . t / |r||t| but it doesn't seem right because this is a vector equation involving direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Actually, you'll want to use the dot product of a vector that is parallel to the line with unit vectors on your coordinate axes. So if you construct vector [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] to lie parallel to your line, then
    [tex] cosa = \frac{\vec{r} \cdot \hat{i}}{|\vec{r}||\hat{i}|} [/tex]
    and so on for the unit vectors [itex] \hat{i},\hat{j},\hat{k} [/itex] to yield cosa, cosb, cosc.
    Yes, there will be three angle cosines to find, one for each axes of the coordinate system.

Your first step should be to find a vector r that is parallel to your line.

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    How do I find a the line parallel to R?

5. Jan 28, 2012 #4

gneill

You have a line given in parametric form: [-3,2,5] + t [2,2,√2 ]. The [-3,2,5] bit is just an offset. You could shift the line to pass through the origin by subtracting this offset, and the result would obviously be a line that is parallel to the original. Thus the line r' = t [2,2,√2 ] is parallel to the original line. Plug in any value of t that you like (1 is a good choice!) to find a vector that lies in the line.

6. Jan 28, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello hunt3rshadow. Welcome to PF !

Usually you should post no more than two questions when opening a thread. These all look fairly closely related, so I suppose it's OK.

I'll try to get you headed in the right direction, but it's up to you to actually solve the problem(s).

For (a):
    The vector, r = [-3,2,5] + t [2,2,√2 ], is a position vector having its tail at the origin, and its head it the point (x, y, z) = ( -3 + 2t, 2 + 2t, 5 + (√2)t ), i.e.
    x = -3 + 2t,
    y = 2 + 2t,
    z = 5 + (√2)t .​
    As t goes from -∞ to +∞, the head of vector r(t) traces a straight line. The vector [-3,2,5], has nothing to do with the direction of this line. It only specifies the location of a point, (-3,2,5), on the line that corresponds to t = 0. The direction is given by the vector that t multiplies, namely, [2,2,(√2) ]. Note that this is also equal to dr/dt.
    [itex]\displaystyle\frac{d\textbf{r}}{dt}=\ \left<2,2,\sqrt{2}\ \right>[/itex]​

You have to find the cosine of the angle this vector makes with respect to (w.r.t) the x-axis, ... then the cosine of the angle this vector makes w.r.t. the y-axis,... then the cosine of the angle this vector makes w.r.t. the z-axis.

The x-axis is in the direction of [1, 0, 0].
    This is where you use that equation you have:

[itex]\displaystyle\cos(\theta)=\frac{ \left\langle 2,\,2,\,\sqrt{2} \right\rangle\cdot \left\langle 1,\,0,\,0 \right\rangle}{\left| \left\langle 2,\,2,\,\sqrt{2} \right\rangle \right|\ \left| \left\langle 1,\,0,\,0 \right\rangle \right|}[/itex]

Do similarly for the other two axes.

7. Jan 28, 2012 #6
    Oh my gosh guys I really owe you! You two made it seem so easy :cry:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  8. Jan 28, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A vector parallel to the line is the vector < 2, 2, (√2) > . That's basically the dr/dt vector I discussed.

9. Jan 28, 2012 #8
    Ahh I see, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  10. Jan 28, 2012 #9

gneill

Just do as the formula states and add the sum of the squares of the cosines of the angles; you don't need to find the angles themselves, just use the cosines. The result should be particularly satisfying :wink:.

11. Jan 28, 2012 #10
    so much more simple then I imagined! Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook