1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding deriviative of lyapunov's equation (chain rule/linear algebra)

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    Hi there!

I am just trying to work though a simple deriviation presented in a txt book (feedback control of dynamic systems p 616). I am REALLY new to linear algebra and they have skipped too many steps!

they have used the chain rule for differentiation of V(x) (a lyapunov function) where V = xTPx ; where P is a symetric positive matrix (i have not been able to find reference to a 'positive matrix'.. is a positive-definite matrix the same thing?)

Thus we have;

d[tex]/dt[/tex]xTPx = x[tex]\dot{}[/tex]TPx + xTPx[tex]\dot{}[/tex]

from there we somehow get to

xT(FTP + PF)x (where i believe F is the 'state' matrix usually represened as A ie X dot = Fx + bu )

if someone could point me in the right direction it would really be appreciated!!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't have much to do with calculus, it's just plugging in the definition.
    The only step that you might be missing is that (AB...XYZ)T = ZT YT XT ... BT AT for some matrices / vectors A, ..., Z.

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    hi CompuChip

thankyou so much for for taking the time to reply!
    despite all the time I have spent pooring over it I just couldnt see it!
    (and yes I was missing that step!)

thanks again! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook