Finding deriviative of lyapunov's equation (chain rule/linear algebra)

• Thread starter james1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to understand a derivation in a textbook on feedback control of dynamic systems. They are new to linear algebra and are struggling with the use of the chain rule for differentiation of a Lyapunov function. They are also unsure about the meaning of a positive matrix. The conversation ends with someone pointing out a step that was missing in the person's understanding.
james1234
Hi there!

I am just trying to work though a simple deriviation presented in a txt book (feedback control of dynamic systems p 616). I am REALLY new to linear algebra and they have skipped too many steps!

they have used the chain rule for differentiation of V(x) (a lyapunov function) where V = xTPx ; where P is a symetric positive matrix (i have not been able to find reference to a 'positive matrix'.. is a positive-definite matrix the same thing?)

Thus we have;

d[tex]/dt[/tex]xTPx = x[tex]\dot{}[/tex]TPx + xTPx[tex]\dot{}[/tex]

from there we somehow get to

xT(FTP + PF)x (where i believe F is the 'state' matrix usually represened as A ie X dot = Fx + bu )

if someone could point me in the right direction it would really be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't have much to do with calculus, it's just plugging in the definition.
The only step that you might be missing is that (AB...XYZ)T = ZT YT XT ... BT AT for some matrices / vectors A, ..., Z.

hi CompuChip

thankyou so much for for taking the time to reply!
despite all the time I have spent pooring over it I just couldn't see it!
(and yes I was missing that step!)

thanks again! :)

1. What is the Lyapunov equation?

The Lyapunov equation is a mathematical equation that is used in the field of control theory and dynamical systems to determine the stability of a system. It is named after Russian mathematician Aleksandr Lyapunov and is often used to analyze the behavior of linear systems.

2. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule that is used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of the individual functions in the composite.

3. How is the chain rule used to find the derivative of the Lyapunov equation?

The chain rule is used in the context of the Lyapunov equation to find the derivative of a composite function that represents the stability of a system. It is used to calculate the derivative of each term in the equation and then combine them using the chain rule to obtain the overall derivative.

4. What role does linear algebra play in finding the derivative of the Lyapunov equation?

Linear algebra is used extensively in the derivation of the Lyapunov equation and its derivatives. It is used to represent the system dynamics and stability conditions in the form of matrices and vectors, and to perform operations such as matrix multiplication and inversion to simplify the equations.

5. What are some applications of finding the derivative of the Lyapunov equation?

The derivative of the Lyapunov equation is used in various fields such as control theory, robotics, and economics to analyze the stability and behavior of systems. It is also used in designing control algorithms to ensure the stability of a system and in predicting the future behavior of a system under different conditions.