Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding determinant of Vandermonde matrix

1. Jun 19, 2007 #1
    Can any one help with finding the determinant of vandermonde matrix or the way in which I can start the problem. I did with 4X4 matrix but I would have to show that the generalisation that I get works for nXn matrix. Please anyone

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

It's a bit too messy to write down right now, but try to eliminate a row/column up to a single non-zero member and use Laplace expansion on that row/column and see where it gets you.

4. Jun 29, 2007 #3
    This Wikipedia article might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandermonde_matrix

The formula is given, but a proof is not given.

To prove the formula given in the article, replace the ith row by

1 x x^2 ... x^(n-1)

Then, take the determinant. The determinant is a function of x. Lets call it
    V(x).

It is a polynomial in x of degree (n-1). Hence, it has (n-1) roots. Furthermore, V(a_i) is the value of the vandermonde determinant, and you know that letting x=a_j for any j between 1 and n(excluding i) makes the determinant 0. Hence, a_i is a root of the polynomial V(x). Thus, (a_i - a_j) is a factor in the expansion of V(a_i). Repeating this with each of the i rows tells us that that

det(V)= C product (a_j - a_i), where the product is taken over 1<=i<j<=n. C is a constant. The fact that C=1 follows from induction. To show that C=1, just consider the cofactor expansion along the last column and examine the coefficient of the highest power of a_n. This is again a vandermonde determinant. Hence, C is the same constant as the smaller Vandermonde determinant. Of course, you need to check that in the case n=2 that C=1.

Hope that was clear. I didn't write the solution super carefully, but the ideas are all there... Let me know if it made sense...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?