1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding direction of force vector

1. Jul 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The magnitude of a force vector is 80.6 newtons (N). The x component of this vector is directed along the +x axis and has a magnitude of 78.0 N. The y component points along the +y axis. (a) Find the angle between and the +x axis. (b) Find the component of along the +y axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the x and y components as distances on an x y graph and then finding the resultant force vector thinking it could be the hypotenuse, and then finding the angle between the bottom of the hypotenuse which was 78 units along the x axis and then at that corner finding the angle which i used CAH of sohcahtoa to find cos(theta) as a/h or 78.043/2.6 giving me 30.016.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't know what the crosses stand for.
    The relevant equations have disappeared and so has your attempt at solution. Something about the sound of the exercise has appeared, but exercises don't make sound.
    Please correct :rolleyes: and hope the mentors don't delete this outright ...

4. Jul 25, 2016 #3
    done

5. Jul 25, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good !
    You only have the x-component (the 78 N). Call the y component ##F_y##. What would be the total force ? The total force is given as 80.6, so you can write 80.6 = ...(something with ##F_y## and the 78 N) ...
    Make a sketch (you probably did, but post it -- or describe it. I find "CAH of sohcahtoa" very original, but can't make sense of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted